1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redactor Editor - Image Float

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by zappaDPJ, Aug 22, 2010.

1. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Well-Known Member

This is probably tantamount to asking for the moon on a stick but I'd like to have the ability to wrap text around an embedded image file.

I appreciate that differing screen resolutions, window resizing, image sizes and positioning preferences all create their own problems but I feel sure it could be implemented at least on a basic level without creating too many issues.

Perhaps a bb code that standardises an image width and position, allowing text to wrap around it would be a good start.

I know I'm not alone in wanting to see this kind of functionality and it's sadly something that even some CMS's lack. Presentation of forum content is key in my book and I feel quite strongly that this would provide a big enhancement to forum content illustrated with image files.
    SAS1024, Gladius, Alfa1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I use float bbcode on my forum to embed images within posts and have the text wrap around them.

<div style="float: left; margin-right: 6px">{TEXT}</div>
    <div style="float: right; margin-left: 6px">{TEXT}</div>
  3. jadmperry

jadmperry Well-Known Member

Is this something that can be implemented for all posters?

I certainly would like to have text-wrapping of images in content that I create (pages, posts, whatever). But, is it possible to get this such that when anyone posts an image, the text automatically wraps?

What about different formatting? Right, Left, Center, etc. I don't know if this is helpful at all, but I found this:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Wrapping_Text_Around_Images . I don't know if similar css could be used to accomplish this. Does this seem feasible?

I don't know if this is a different suggestion than the OP...for now I will just Like the suggestion. Thanks!
    Janmaat likes this.
  4. Janmaat

Janmaat Active Member

Would like to know that either. Thanks!
  5. DaveL

DaveL Well-Known Member

Hi Brogan,

Bit of an old post, but where did you put that text to wrap the text around a pic?
  6. DaveL

DaveL Well-Known Member

7. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

As seen here:

I would like to see the ability to float images in posts, in the core forum product.

Thanks for your consideration!
    Lee, 0xym0r0n and FredC like this.
  8. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

0xym0r0n and Alien like this.
  9. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

FredC likes this.
  10. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the XenForo img Bb Code is meant to be floated. It's purpose is to be resizable whatever the container is. Making it floated will create problems and will make things more complex whereas its purpose is to simplify the img integration for your members.
  11. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Its not comlicated more is better!!! ;)
  12. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Interesting... So this could prove difficult without adding an additional bbcode via add-on, eh?

Well, I hope this is something that can be looked into in some form. Maybe there is some additional creative thinking that can be done with this? I know Mike likes to think outside the box, maybe something hits him. <snoopy cry>

0xym0r0n likes this.
  13. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

You can float images fine in a flexible container. The problem would be when things become responsive, as you would have to remove the floats (more than likely) to get things to align correctly when you reduce the resolution that far.
  14. Gladius

Gladius Well-Known Member

CTA Float BB Code

Can we get this into the core please? It's such a basic thing that it really should be part of the editor by default.
    Alfa1 likes this.