Redactor 10 Released

Pereira

Available today: Redactor 10
SEPTEMBER 24, 2014

As some of you already know, we’ve spent last several months working on Redactor 10, and we are proud to introduce it to you today. It is by far the best Redactor we’ve ever made; it is the most stable, reliable and user-friendly release we’ve ever announced. Let us quickly walk you through some of the improvements we’ve made.

First things first. We improve Redactor with developers in mind. We strive to make it easy for you to work with Redactor, have freedom and flexibility to achieve practically any goal. However, Redactor 10 was made for premium user experience too. It is slick, sharp, fast and absolutely self-explanatory, and Redactor 10 is even faster and smoother than before.

Most improvements in Redactor 10 are not as visible. We’ve completely re-imagined practically every aspect of Redactor from scratch. It now consists of 36 modules making it the most flexible tool for the job on the market. We’ve streamlined settings, eliminating confusing ones, improving naming conventions and making settings as self-explanatory as possible. There are many visual improvements as well, for instance, we tweaked and fine-tuned over 50 major aspects of typography inside Redactor. Text now looks even better balanced and much more pleasing. There are also 14 new plugins: we’ve extracted all non-essential functionality from Redactor, and this change gives you much better control over Redactor’s performance. Image and file uploads were vastly improved with full compliance with HTML5 standards, and now both normal and Amazon S3 uploads work seamlessly with drag and drop (it leaves IE9 out of the scope, but Microsoft is retiring this browser soon anyway). The all-new ‘formattingAdd’ setting adds visual styles to formatting dropdowns; not only it looks awesome, it also gives users a whole new level of productivity and convenience.

To sum this all, Redactor 10 was made with developers and exclusive user experience in mind. It offers a new level of control over modal windows, buttons, dropdowns, and uploads; freedom to create and modify plugins using exceptionally powerful API. Most improvements are under the hood, giving us breathing room for future improvements for years to come. We think about the new Redactor as fully featured framework with unique API, modular design and vigorous look and feel.

Grab your copy of Redactor 10 now and let us know what you think!

Version 10.0 September 24, 2014
  • NEW Modular design with 36 new modules
  • NEW 23 new settings, including autosaveOnChange, formattingAdd, cleanStyleOnEnter and scrollTarget
  • NEW 8 new callbacks, including startCallback, sourceCallback and clickCallback
  • NEW 145 all-new API methods (See What’s new in Redactor 10)
  • NEW 14 new and updated plugins, including Tables, Video, Image Manager and character Counter.
  • NEW Fixed toolbar is now a default mode in Redactor
  • FIXED List handling in IE & Firefox (issues with formatting, creating and quitting lists)
  • FIXED Links handling (issues with applying formatting to links, applying links to formatted text, multiple minor issues)
  • FIXED Tables handling (now in a plugin)
  • FIXED Invalid user formatting cleanup and handling
  • FIXED Preformatted code processing (issues with html entities, brackets, &, etc)
  • FIXED Undo/Redo handling in IE9 and IE10
  • FIXED Issues with images (applying/removing links, formatting, alignment, callbacks, upload issues, etc.)
  • FIXED Multiple issues in linebreaks mode in IE and Firefox
  • FIXED All issues with FontColor and FontSize plugins
  • FIXED Dropdowns focus issues
  • FIXED Multiple minor issue with pasting from MS Word and some minor issues with pasting from Google Docs
  • DEPRECATED Air mode, fullpage mode, iframe mode, xhtml mode, vym mode, external css, insertHtmlAdvanced, execCommand. For full details see What’s new in Redactor 10.

http://imperavi.com/redactor/

That doesn't really have much relevance to XenForo.

The version of Redactor implemented in XenForo is heavily customised, so it's not a simple drop in replacement.

How much of of the original Redactor does XenForo use i.e. 60% or 80%?

Have any of the v9/10 releases improved the areas Mike had to work on with v8 (such as drag and drop)?

One reason to stick with version 8 is because it is compatible with older browsers; just as XenForo is. Redactor 9 and 10 have dropped IE8 support.

So it's possible something could change in XF 2.0. I doubt the general requirements of XenForo will change before then, anyway.

The original redactor.js file is unedited but it is heavily customised in the sense that XenForo does a heck of a lot in its own JS to manipulate it.

The original redactor.js file is unedited
Actually that's not correct. Our redactor.js file is heavily modified to deal with various issues, including a lot relating to selections and the management surrounding that.

I couldn't speak to how the new version of Redactor handles things like this off hand.

Everyone needs to drop IE8 support. Erase its existence please.

I don't know about you, but I run a website for the users, not for myself. A pretty big chunk of the users stuck on IE8 are not in control of their own browsers (e.g. work computers, shared/public computers, etc.).

I know what you're saying - if everyone stopped supporting IE8, it would hasten its demise - but not everyone is going to stop, and it's a hard sell when my taking this action would result in the users being inconvenienced, not in their browsers being upgraded.

Amusingly, the IE8 users actually have a distinctly lower than average bounce rate on my site - which I'm guessing is a result of them being primarily employees whose aging corporate policies (and maybe aging corporate intranets/tools) force them to use an old browser.

I don't know about you, but I run a website for the users, not for myself. A pretty big chunk of the users stuck on IE8 are not in control of their own browsers (e.g. work computers, shared/public computers, etc.).

I know what you're saying - if everyone stopped supporting IE8, it would hasten its demise - but not everyone is going to stop, and it's a hard sell when my taking this action would result in the users being inconvenienced, not in their browsers being upgraded.

Amusingly, the IE8 users actually have a distinctly lower than average bounce rate on my site - which I'm guessing is a result of them being primarily employees whose aging corporate policies (and maybe aging corporate intranets/tools) force them to use an old browser.
If you have an IE8 % over 2 then I would say sticking with IE8 is important for you. My message was meant to be funny, not taken as a remove IE8 support completely. I'm sure @Mike and all the staff have done clear analysis on what browsers people use and what support they still need to provide. It's all based on what your audience needs.

However if you're a designer then you know how much IE8 is more of an annoyance now. Took years to rid ourselves of IE6 support. A year or so ago we officially dropped IE7 support at my job and next up is 8. We're getting there.

I wonder why people use Internet Explorer in general, unless restricted by school or work. I've never thought Microsoft have ever done a decent job at a browser.

I wonder why people use Internet Explorer in general, unless restricted by school or work. I've never thought Microsoft have ever done a decent job at a browser.
Because people are lazy and new computers tend to have Windows preinstalled.

I'd like to see XF2 drop IE9, but it's too soon to talk about that I'm afraid. :P

There won't be any changes to the editor before XF 2.0 and even then we may not use the latest Redactor. If there's a benefit to doing so, we will consider it.

How it looks is sort of irrelevant because there's no guarantee it wouldn't get reskinned (like this one). Table support is a misnomer. We can support tables in this editor. But we don't have a table bb code so that's also irrelevant.

Rather a moot point. The point is, just because there's a new version of something, it doesn't mean we're automatically going to start using it.

Top Bottom