1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend new host

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Nighthawk, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

Hi I am with netregistry and they used to be good but lately the servers are constantly down and I support is getting g terrible. So I am looking for a new reliable host. Not to expensive but I am still willing to pay more then just cheap hosting. Ian running the media gallery on the forum so prefer good storage size

2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

It might be worth you giving a few more details, such as your budget, whether you want shared or VPS (and if the latter, managed or unmanaged) and where you would prefer the servers to be located.

My recommendation would be Nimbus Hosting, who offer managed VPS hosting based in the UK.
    BoostN likes this.
  3. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

We offer fast managed hosting as well running ElasticSearch, Memcached, cPanel on Solid State Drives (SSD) so forums can load pretty fast :)
  4. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

What's your budget range?
    I've heard a lot of good experience from ASmallOrange for shared host.
    Linode and DO for VPS.
  5. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

ASO has become terrible since they were bought out by EIG, and we all know about Linode's month-long downtime due to a very small DDoS attack. Could never recommend either in good faith.
  6. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

I have had excellent support since switching to mattwservices.co.uk

I had been with Nimbus before and had loads of problems.
  7. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Pretty much every time I've read this about Nimbus the problem has been down to the user making changes or altering things they don't understand.

I haven't yet referred someone to them that has had an issue they couldn't resolve, if left to manage the servers correctly.
  8. RoldanLT

I moved some people from Nimbus to Un-Managed VPS (same specs RAM/CPU).
    Because their VPS from Nimbus can't handle normal load anymore and having issue (I hope their system is not oversold) and they insist on requesting for an upgrade instead of fixing the issue.
  9. AppleAndMango

AppleAndMango Active Member

Moved from Nimbus to Digital Ocean, not because of bad service though because it was much cheaper and the VPS I have with Digital Ocean is a lot faster. However... With Digital Ocean you do need to set the whole VPS up yourself which can be mind blowing if you've never set one up before.
    RoldanLT likes this.
  10. RoldanLT

KeVo and AppleAndMango like this.
  11. AppleAndMango

Ah cool.

It's also a much easier once you've installed a control panel like Plesk/cPanel ;)
  12. RoldanLT

13. AppleAndMango

I'm using Plesk it's $4 a month hardly breaking the bank plus I'm used to Plesk, I don't like change! :p
  14. RoldanLT

Okay almost Free, But Not Optimized, Bloated :p
  15. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

Maybe, but not in this case.
    The Forum Heroes and BoostN like this.
  16. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

17. RoldanLT

I don't have any experience with that :D.
  18. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Maybe he didn't forget it.. just ignored it! I know I try to as much as possible now (used to use it when I was a virgin to Linux).
    RoldanLT likes this.