Recent / Random Attachments On Forum Homepage [Paid] [Deleted]

Brent W

BamaStangGuy submitted a new resource:

Recent / Random Attachments On Forum Homepage (version 1.1c) - Show recent or random attachment images on your forum homepage

This add-on is sold as is feature wise. I had this developed by Chris Deeming and would like to recoup my costs. Any bugs will be fixed but no new features will be added. The app uses jQuery to resize and fails gracefully should javascript be disabled.

See screenshots for configurable options:

View attachment 40146

View attachment 40147

Read more about this resource...

I'd like to take this time and point out how great Chris has been for developing add-ons for me. He is very fast and knowledgable of the xenForo code base. This product runs on a few larger forums with no problems at all.

Does this bring up a whole page that shows a list of recent attachments as well?

Is it server-intensive? Your images loaded quickly but I wonder what impact high traffic (and lots of attachments) might do.

The only small thing is it pulls all the photos in order each time is there a way to mix them up from all different posts?

There are ways of doing that, but I preferred to do it this way to minimise the impact on the server. I think right now the way I'm doing it adds 3 (small) queries to the loading of the home page. To make it completely random, I think would take 4 queries. I could actually do it in one query, but it would be an ugly one. You can order the results of your query BY RAND() but it's ugly and probably worse than the 3 or 4 queries put together especially when there's hundreds or thousands of attachments.

I haven't looked at the code of that one but I know I've written this in such a way that Ida's optimal as possible. There's potentially more queries but actually those queries are very light and deliberately so to ensure the best performance possible even on larger boards.

Also one area it definitely differs is that it doesn't launch images in the light box, it takes them to the post instead. Also my version includes a jQuery plugin that resizes and crops the thumbnails on the fly to ensure you don't get the odd effect you often see with stretched or mismatched dimensions for each image.

For some reason, the images show up really fuzzy for us:

http://www.entropiaplanets.com/forum/

I tried playing with the size a bit, but that didn't matter.

Future feature request: Make it possible to pick where to show (top, bottom, sidebar). It also doesn't seem to work in XenPorta, but for us, that's just fine. Just figured I'd report it :)

Hello, I have a problem with this addon. The images in the forum_list appear blurry. I have tried with GD and Imagick with the same result :( please can you help me? this addon is great for my community.

Top Bottom