XF 2.0 reCaptcha v3

1. If you're that paranoid, you may have missed the fact that someone somewhere is always watching you. And reCaptcha v3 is no more intrusive in that respect that Google Analytics or social sharing or many other services we use on a daily basis.

2. That does not answer my question at all.

3. If you bothered to read the article and especially to watch the video, you'll see that this has a lot of potential for enhancing both your site security and your anti-spam measures.

1) Therefore I do not use any external scripts on my site. And I block every JS as well as cookies and other parasites.

2) I'd even almost guess that it will come to 2.1.

3) Only the price you pay for it is decisive.

1) Therefore I do not use any external scripts on my site. And I block every JS as well as cookies and other parasites.

2) I'd even almost guess that it will come to 2.1.

3) Only the price you pay for it is decisive.

Thank you for your off-topic personal story.

However, let me point out - again - that it does not answer my questions. They were very specific and did not include requesting your opinion about reCaptcha 3.

Don't like it? Don't use it. Now kindly find another thread for trolling or promoting your personal paranoid versions of security. Nothing you have posted in this thread has been at all helpful to anyone at all.

Last edited:
I remember suggesting about the Recaptcha v2 NoCaptcha when that was announced (I think I suggested in the now deleted XF2 dev site). XF moved from ReCaptcha v1 to v2 in XF 1.5.16a release. I think this is an appropriate and timely suggestion and should be posted/moved in the Suggestions forum.

This is technically not a new captcha in itself but essentially an entirely new concept which doesn’t actually fit at all in the context of our existing captcha system.

It crosses over into our anti spam content checker a bit and maybe into our user checker system so there is potentially scope for it in the future.

But to answer your questions directly, no, it won’t be viable for XF 2.1 at this stage and it almost certainly wouldn’t be a viable feature to include as a third point release either.

It is worth making a suggestion for it for future consideration though.

You must be one interesting fella if you're going to such lengths to ensure nobody to get their hands on any data about you
It has nothing to do with interesting: Who gets my data and who doesn't still determine me and not anyone else and that's what it's all about.
Digital self-determination, a fundamental right in every democracy.

Last edited:
Recaptcha v3 works very well from my testing. Since I use a custom registration page that runs outside of XF I set it up so that anyone with a score of 0.6 or below gets put in a restricted usergroup that needs post approval. So far this approach has blocked all the Chinese spammers that got through before.

Looking forward to when it's integrated in XF.

I would love to have this added to Xenforo, right now none of the recaptcha systems, or Q&A or any existing option seems to prevent the spammers from getting through.

in ACP, where exactly is the captcha? My current/default one is easily answered and I am receiving spam emails.

Where can i make my captcha more difficult to go through?

Regards

in ACP, where exactly is the captcha? My current/default one is easily answered and I am receiving spam emails.

Where can i make my captcha more difficult to go through?

Regards
Consider getting this add-on: https://atelieraphelion.com/products/signup-abuse-detection-and-blocking.64/ by @Xon

If you want proof of how well it works, I present to you my stats:
1567334660328.webp

The vast majority of those triggers are users being outright rejected. If an email or IP is found in StopForumSpam, I've set that add-on up to simply outright reject the registration. The amount of spam that goes through has been drastically reduced, and I have very little work to do in the approval queue.

In the "Enable CAPTCHA for guests" setting I have "reCAPTCHA v2" with the "Use invisible reCAPTCHA" option on. That requires a new key specifically set up for invisible reCAPTCHA.

Reactions: Xon
Any updates on this?
Probably yes? Seems the latest version supports this and more.
I would not expect an old version to be brought up to current standards. That is where software providers make their bread and butter, requiring you (with good cause) to upgrade to more current versions. The only gotcha as a new license holder I am seeing is that sometime the significant updates are glacial in speed. But I was warned about that when I purchased the 2nd hand license.

We do not have support for reCAPTCHA v3 and currently have no plans to introduce it.

As a CAPTCHA, which is solely what we use it for, version 2 is sufficient.

Top Bottom