XF 1.3 Recaptcha timeout error?

surfsup

Code:
Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Exception: Unable to Connect to tcp://api-verify.recaptcha.net:80. Error #110: Connection timed out - library/Zend/Http/Client/Adapter/Socket.php:235
Generated By: Unknown Account, Today at 1:35 PM
Stack Trace

#0 /home/bonitabr/public_html/www.talkfloods.com/library/Zend/Http/Client.php(973): Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Socket->connect('api-verify.reca...', 80, false)
#1 /home/bonitabr/public_html/www.talkfloods.com/library/Zend/Service/ReCaptcha.php(487): Zend_Http_Client->request('POST')
#2 /home/bonitabr/public_html/www.talkfloods.com/library/Zend/Service/ReCaptcha.php(502): Zend_Service_ReCaptcha->_post('03AHJ_VustqmQVt...', '????????')
#3 /home/bonitabr/public_html/www.talkfloods.com/library/XenForo/Captcha/ReCaptcha.php(53): Zend_Service_ReCaptcha->verify('03AHJ_VustqmQVt...', '????????')
#4 /home/bonitabr/public_html/www.talkfloods.com/library/XenForo/Captcha/Abstract.php(129): XenForo_Captcha_ReCaptcha->isValid(Array)
#5 /home/bonitabr/public_html/www.talkfloods.com/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Register.php(200): XenForo_Captcha_Abstract::validateDefault(Object(XenForo_Input))
#6 /home/bonitabr/public_html/www.talkfloods.com/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#7 /home/bonitabr/public_html/www.talkfloods.com/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#8 /home/bonitabr/public_html/www.talkfloods.com/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#9 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(43) "http://www.talkfloods.com/register/register"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(17) {
    ["username"] => string(9) "Robertbow"
    ["email"] => string(21) "washington.paul@o2.pl"
    ["password"] => string(8) "********"
    ["password_confirm"] => string(8) "********"
    ["dob_month"] => string(1) "8"
    ["dob_day"] => string(2) "25"
    ["dob_year"] => string(4) "1979"
    ["gender"] => string(4) "male"
    ["custom_fields"] => array(2) {
      ["Phone"] => string(6) "123456"
      ["RealName"] => string(9) "Robertbow"
    }
    ["custom_fields_shown"] => array(2) {
      [0] => string(5) "Phone"
      [1] => string(8) "RealName"
    }
    ["timezone"] => string(12) "Asia/Rangoon"
    ["recaptcha_response_field"] => string(8) ""
    ["recaptcha_challenge_field"] => string(249) "03AHJ_VustqmQVtZcj874DuzZBM6KxZMCZTI264fXJ4yu8Fy_PU33NMLO2wcaLX8eR49uOAcBy_-cyCAxXnLJ4XlLocqgM_ZrNdJm91zyYUowN-CTKsLiJaTZMxnINtWQjvtqESD4O70QGl7VD-3Ipp_HyVNHWL1b9I5DAgM_SIuvSaaEY1L5nLebSgwUYAxDZLlqVRAsHp2XklMatPkhKj4pdrVDK5mVakUlL1LprumnCfYARLlPKlnc"
    ["agree"] => string(1) "1"
    ["submit"] => string(7) "Sign up"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["reg_key"] => string(32) "3189a5f74efafbe7456ec901e3896da0"
  }
}

I have currently that the log is filling up with these kind of entries. I tried to register a test account and it worked without any problems, the captcha showed up and worked.

But a new entry showed up in the log with the details of that account, strange because it seemed that it worked fine?

Code:
Error Info
Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Exception: Unable to Connect to tcp://api-verify.recaptcha.net:80. Error #110: Connection timed out - library/Zend/Http/Client/Adapter/Socket.php:235
Generated By: Unknown Account, 3 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/forum/public_html/library/Zend/Http/Client.php(973): Zend_Http_Client_Adapter_Socket->connect('api-verify.reca...', 80, false)
#1 /home/forum/public_html/library/Zend/Service/ReCaptcha.php(487): Zend_Http_Client->request('POST')
#2 /home/forum/public_html/library/Zend/Service/ReCaptcha.php(502): Zend_Service_ReCaptcha->_post('03AHJ_Vuv89eQuG...', '201 65426225')
#3 /home/forum/public_html/library/XenForo/Captcha/ReCaptcha.php(53): Zend_Service_ReCaptcha->verify('03AHJ_Vuv89eQuG...', '201 65426225')
#4 /home/forum/public_html/library/XenForo/Captcha/Abstract.php(129): XenForo_Captcha_ReCaptcha->isValid(Array)
#5 /home/forum/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Register.php(200): XenForo_Captcha_Abstract::validateDefault(Object(XenForo_Input))
#6 /home/forum/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Register->actionRegister()
#7 /home/forum/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#8 /home/forum/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#9 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(41) "http://scooterforum.net/register/register"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(14) {
["username"] => string(11) "bastest2014"
["email"] => string(18) "bastest2014@luq.nl"
["password"] => string(8) "********"
["password_confirm"] => string(8) "********"
["dob_month"] => string(1) "7"
["dob_day"] => string(2) "11"
["dob_year"] => string(4) "1973"
["gender"] => string(0) ""
["timezone"] => string(16) "Europe/Amsterdam"
["recaptcha_challenge_field"] => string(228) "03AHJ_Vuv89eQuGkd3CHs1kWoadr7a8Jn-cn9h6j8ERwHtKs92365YND90YqPwtX9QRR_6BRd8lkswtlGmhuxjdIBX9pOP_5-h2wvO_S83ylwKsdJMRSEh-iWWXYS5ElziiAmnhC2WvJcwl74UXXTiHA2GxDlZLViQLTOiDlRBmNuqDExc2uLs4rUkoqGBmNA-Njp_klG1kegfvqSJjG6TWtsn9eTxDMRHxw"
["recaptcha_response_field"] => string(12) "201 65426225"
["agree"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["reg_key"] => string(32) "77c904246850c31413ebd3699dbf1e9b"
}
}

I can ping the website, so dunno what is wrong?

Just because you can ping the site/IP doesn't necessarily mean that the service is responding.

Thats correct. But I pinged it just to test the networking. Don't know if the service itself works properly, the captcha shows up, but it also generates this error. Thats my main question why does it happen. Would be logical if it happend if the captcha did not show up :)

ReCAPTCHA loads via the client side. It's validated server side. If a timeout like this occurs, the captcha is entirely ignored (otherwise no one would be able to bypass it).

If this is happening a lot, it indicates that something may be blocking outgoing connections on your server (which is why it's logged).

A thanks i did not know. Just disabled my firewall and created a new account and tried to register with a wrong captcha and it went ok, also a new log entry. Will try to resolve this issue.

Strangely on the same server in my development environment this doesn't happen. Strange? Can't figure it out.

It might be your dev server has no connection limit. My production server has 100 simultaneous connections limit. When a lot of "spammer bots" try to register at once, they exceed the connections limit, and as a result I get tons of log entries like "Unable to Connect to tcp://api-verify.recaptcha.net:80. Error #110: Connection timed out"

There needs to be a solution to this problem as a lot of shared hosts have a limit on simultaneous connections. When the connection limit is reached, the bots can freely register. I'm currently getting 20+ fake registrations on my Xenforo 1.3 install every day.

Xenforo 1.4 has added improvements, like fake registration fields, to deal with bots.

Top Bottom