1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Rebuild Caches > Rebuild User Group Promotions - what does it do?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by CyclingTribe, Aug 29, 2013.

1. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Does this re-apply all usergroup promotions to all users (regardless of when they last logged in) ?

If so, then it's exactly what I'm looking for as I'm reducing the number of usergroups when I upgrade to XF 1.2.1 and want to re-apply the new groups based on different promotion criteria.

Cheers,
    Shaun :D

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It does what it says. :) So yes, what you are looking for - it re-evaluates the promotions against all users.

CyclingTribe likes this.
  3. CyclingTribe

Thanks Mike. Does it impact on manually applied usergroup membership? (i.e. does it wipe-clean ALL usergroups before re-applying the promotion criteria?)

For example, we have a chatroom group that is manually applied (upon user request) which contains around 150 members - will this group remain intact for those members or will it be removed?

Cheers,

4. Mike

It's equivalent to running the cron on everyone, so it doesn't affect manual upgrades/downgrades.

CyclingTribe and akia like this.
  5. CyclingTribe

Perfect. (y)

6. CyclingTribe

It seems that previous promotions are accounted for when rebuilding the cache; which means that I cannot remove everyone from a group and re-apply that group with new criteria because they've previously been auto-promoted into it.

After experimenting a bit I've found that manually deleting Promotion History via the ACP does allow me to re-apply promotions afresh, but I don't fancy deleting tens of thousands of entries for the CycleChat membership manually.

Can I achieve this by purging all %ugPromotion% records from the xf_user_group_change table (as well as purging xf_user_group_promotion_log)? (Effectively making it so that no promotions have ever taken place)

Thanks,

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  7. Mike

Unfortunately, I can't really recommend removing data from the database directly - it's easy to miss bits.

CyclingTribe likes this.