Real Archiving

Jafo

One thing that has been a pest to me in the past is dealing with HUGE post tables with VB (and other forums). I always wished there was a built in way to move posts older than X to a different table and then present users who want to search the archive a separate search option: "Search Archive". Users browsing back to X days would be presented with a "Browse Archives" section. The option to have this archive on a separate DB would be a bonus.

An option to make this archive table read only (closing the archived threads) so we could use compression on that table would also be a bonus.

I just think the days of having millions of of records in one busy table need to come to an end if MySQL is going to be our only DB option.

Not really such a big issue if

a) The table being used supports row-level locking (InnoDB) rather than table level locking (MyISAM)

b) Queries don't do full table scans

That is true and I hope it is a hint! Curious how the searching will handled if the post table will be InnoDB. :)

As for queries doing full table scans, one also has to consider that forum owners who install third party mods are rarely aware of what types of queries these mods use, or even have the ability to understand them.

Excellent. Scalability planned from the beginning FTW :).
Very interested to hear about the search system, how different content types will be integrated, visual presentation (tabbed results sets?) etc.
Can't wait till it's ready to be unveiled!

Top Bottom