Partial fix Reactions pop-up not displayed on Firefox

karll

Affected version
xf2.1
When I hover over the Like button on a post on Firefox (version 63.0), I don't see the reactions options.

When I do the same on Chrome, it does pop up ...

Edit: I'm using Firefox 63.0 (64-bit) on Fedora 28. The package is firefox.x86_64 63.0-2.fc28. I've disabled Adblock Plus.
Also tested on Firefox 52.0 (32-bit) on Windows and that appears to work OK.

Edit 2: Also tried starting Firefox in safe mode (from the command-line: "firefox -safe-mode"), but still no reactions icons.

Edit 3: Also tried the "Refresh Firefox" option when starting with the '-safe-mode' option, which removed all add-ons and customizations, but still no reaction icons.

Edit 4: Also tested with the IceCat browser, version 60.2.2esr (64-bit, Fedora 28), and there the reaction icons don't display either!

Edit: Can't reproduce with Firefox 60.3.0esr (64-bit) on Redhat Enterprise Linux 7. It does show the 6 warning lines about unreachable code in the web console, so those are probably a red herring.

Last edited:
I see 6 warning lines in the Web Console saying:

unreachable code after return statement[Learn More]

Not sure if that is related. I don't see anything in the console on Chrome.

Firefox appears to work as expected for me as well, so it'd be interesting to hear if anyone else can reproduce this. This actually generally uses our standard tooltip system, so it certainly should be working.

It does work on hover if you have a normal pointer, rather than a touch input only device.

It's possible that hovering could get disabled if touchevents are detected; this sometimes happens on hybrid devices that have both a keyboard and mouse and a touchscreen.

It does work on hover if you have a normal pointer, rather than a touch input only device.

It's possible that hovering could get disabled if touchevents are detected; this sometimes happens on hybrid devices that have both a keyboard and mouse and a touchscreen.
I think that's it! I have a touchscreen laptop (with a normal mouse and keyboard), and when I use that and long press, the reaction icons do show up!

On Chrome, the hover method works, but not the long press touchscreen!

For reactions on Facebook, both the touchscreen long-press and hovering over with the mouse will open the reactions pop-up. So this ought to be possible with Xenforo as well, just saying!

Please let us know whether this still happens, as we have made some event adjustments that should more accurately identify touch triggered events in most browsers.
Both long-press and mouse hover-over now work in Firefox.

In Chrome only mouse hover-over seem to work.

Long press is specifically a touch action -- for mice, hover is the only trigger. I'm not clear on what action method you're using, so I can't tell if it's working as expected. Can you confirm?

Long press is specifically a touch action -- for mice, hover is the only trigger. I'm not clear on what action method you're using, so I can't tell if it's working as expected. Can you confirm?
I meant to say that long-press with my finger on the touch screen in Chrome is still not bringing up the reaction icons. (It does seem to "focus" on the 'Like' button, though.) In Firefox, the finger-on-touch screen long-press does work now. The mouse hover-over also works in both browsers.

• When viewing the Media thumbnails (https://xenforo.com/community/media/) from a mobile device such, such as Android using Chrome, the slide-in overlays are always shown.
  • When viewing on a desktop/laptop with a non-touch screen the overlays are not shown until the mouse is hovered over the thumbnail at which point they slide-in while the cursor is hovered and slide-out when the cursor is moved.
  • When viewing on a desktop/laptop with a touch screen the overlays are not shown in Chrome, Edge, & IE. Trying to get the overlay to show using the touch screen results in the thumbnail being clicked firing the click event. Using mouse/pad to hover over thumbnails shows overlay as expected.
  • FF on the desktop/laptop with a touch screen shows the overlay always like on a mobile device.

As an aside... similar problem with the Reactions "Like" link with the laptop touchscreen, with FF the pop-up shows as expected doing a long click but Chrome results in nothing happening when doing a long click.

Top Bottom