Rave reviews!

HannahP

I flipped the big switch in the sky and moved a forum over to XenForo this morning. The second or third post after I reopened the forum was from a 4000 post regular:
But I'll have to leave now, as I am really REALLY disapointed with the 'new' forum. It's not a matter of aestetic gusto anymore:
I just CAN'T HANDLE THIS THING!

(okay, I admit it's 11:30 pm here now on a Saturday and I'm not sober. But I'm pretty sure, I WON'T be able to work with this new style even if I drop the soup for a whole week. THIS THING IS HELL! I couldn't even start to tell, what's wrong with it and I sure would have to search a long time to find anything, that's right.)
Ha ha. He doesn't cope well with change. And he's German, and you know how they are. He almost had a heart attack when we went from vB 3.x to vB 4.x. So I expect he will calm down eventually.

I flipped the big switch in the sky and moved a forum over to XenForo this morning. The second or third post after I reopened the forum was from a 4000 post regular:

Ha ha. He doesn't cope well with change. And he's German, and you know how they are. He almost had a heart attack when we went from vB 3.x to vB 4.x. So I expect he will calm down eventually.
Haha lol. I always get a good laugh from reading your posts :P You should be a comedian.

People do not like change. I had the same reaction moving from phpbb to vB3. vB3 to vB4.
Always, what was wrong with the old site? That is why I keep old forums or websites around to reflect on the past and see how far we've come.

Entertaining, as always. Congrats on the move.

Congratulations on your successful migration, Michael.
Thanks, I couldn't have done it without you.

Care to share the site?
Eh - let me fix everything first. I did a couple test installs, but they didn't prepare me for the number of little tweaks that are necessary.

---

Well, I don't know when I'll have time to tweak everything, so have a look if you're so inclined.

You have a really great site Michael and a really nice resource of information. You are always well written on your posts and I often wondered what your site entails and now I know. Thanks for posting the link.

I like it. And I even like your answer to him:
mjp said:
Roni, my brother, I am making dinner for a thousand people here, and no matter what I make, someone isn't going to be able to eat it.
and
mjp said:
For everyone else, you may notice some horror and debris for a while
:)
And what reputation? :D

You should offer the choice of a non fixed width version of the style.... I absolutely detest fixed width styles, and know I am not alone.

You'll always get one or two jumping around frantic, scared of change, threatening to hang themselves. If it persisted, The door is in any direction they want to walk through. If that change is for the better, they'll eventually adapt to the changes and settle back into a posting, productive routine.

How anyone can complain from using the curse of the 4 for a product superior in more ways I can mention is beyond me.

I absolutely detest fixed width styles...
Why?

When you're dealing with text, you should have a fixed width. I guess if someone wants to stretch each line out to 1680 px that's their business, but I don't know how they can read it.

I would add a liquid option, but I don't feel like maintaining two styles. That's my approach to award-winning customer service: give the customer what I want.

Why?

When you're dealing with text, you should have a fixed width. I guess if someone wants to stretch each line out to 1680 px that's their business, but I don't know how they can read it.

I would add a liquid option, but I don't feel like maintaining two styles. That's my approach to award-winning customer service: give the customer what I want.

Why do I detest fixed width? Two reasons...

One - I feel completely hemmed in and claustrophobic having to use fixed width skins, I refuse to do it in fact, for example: There is an excellent Admin forum around, even though it is a fine site with good people and discussions.. I cannot abide fixed width skins, truly physically feel sick using them, and whilst that site several choices in themes, they are all fixed width, sadly I cannot post there at all. Some people have said to me that they cannot read great big long strings of text, well I cannot read great big horizontal blocks of text.... different mindsets, left/right brain differences.. I'm a retard, who knows, but I do know I am not alone, with 8 years of providing skins to boards of all levels I have only twice done Fixed width Custom Skins, and I detested every minute of doing them. I have had this discussion with many many people over the years, and lots feel the same way.

.... And Two... it is often control freakiness of the highest order.. dictating what width people will read forums is imho the Admin Nazi-est move out there... if I want 1920px wide text, surely that is my business.... and the argument you don't want to "maintain" two styles is (naturally) spurious... make the default xenforo style available (which is nicely fluid you will notice) then you don't have to do a single thing.. And then, those of your pooor members who like me detest being dictated to in such a fundamental way will have one less control freak thing to object to :)

It costs you nothing, it delivers choice, and everyone is surely a winner.

It's not always Admin Nazi related.
It is impossible to control the layout and appearance of a site if you have fixed and fluid widths.

This is why e.g. BBC, CNN, etc. have fixed widths and it's the same reason I have had for the last 3 years.

It's not always Admin Nazi related.
It is impossible to control the layout and appearance of a site if you have fixed and fluid widths.

This is why e.g. BBC, CNN, etc. have fixed widths and it's the same reason I have had for the last 3 years.

None of those sites are forums, we aren't talking about websites, I have designed a number of fixed width websites, as Yes I agree there are solid reasons to do so on a site with articles, images, media files embedded, news feeds, ads, etc etc but on forums there is absolutely no reason.. fluid looks great, or if you don't like it, just use a fixed width, I seriously don't get what problem people have with offering choice, to NOT do so is what I consider Admin Nazism... overly controlling.

Just offer a choice :)

make the default xenforo style available (which is nicely fluid you will notice) then you don't have to do a single thing. It costs you nothing, it delivers choice, and everyone is surely a winner.
How does everyone win by my letting them choose a style that contains none of my awesome customizations? As a designer, if a customer paid you for a fixed width and you delivered it, then they called you 3 days later and said they decided they want the option of offering fixed and fluid, would you tell them to use the default for the fluid design and "everyone will be a winner"? I doubt that somehow.

the argument you don't want to "maintain" two styles is (naturally) spurious...
Naturally?

Do you hate me because I set a fixed width, or did I do something else to you that I don't remember?

Wait - were you that girl in the pink leather jacket at CBGBs in 1981? May I remind you that it was your idea to go downstairs! Those bathrooms scared me. And you gave me the jacket, I didn't steal it. You were pretty wasted after downing those 17 little bottles of Anbesol, but you clearly wanted me to have it. And you knew I was leaving for Philadelphia the next day. It was a one-night gig, I told you when we started making out in the dressing room. I didn't appreciate all the letters to my apartment over the following 18 months. You know, my girlfriend opened some of those.

Jeez, talk about holding a grudge.

Top Bottom