Rave reviews!

I know where you're coming from Dragonfly, because I can't stand to read long blocks of text with no paragraph breaks. But I do think most forum owners are control freaks, otherwise we'd be posting on someone else's forum instead. And I don't mean control freaks in a bad way, just ... people who want things to be exactly how they like them. And who want everyone else to put up with it enjoy that.

Anyway, I hate fluid width because I'm not good at CSS and it's a pain in the ass trying to make sure things align right in both fixed and fluid, so my solution is to offer it with a plain header. But I resent giving people the option of not having to look at my lousy header. (Hey, I spent two weeks on that thing - suffer!)

(And, I didn't see the post above before I posted this.)

Wait - were you that girl in the pink leather jacket at CBGBs in 1981?
That was Debbie Harry. How can you forget?
Or maybe it was Great Gildersleeves? No. CBGBs. You're right.
I think the Ramones where playing that night. Or was it the Clash? It's all a blur.

How does everyone win by my letting them choose a style that contains none of my awesome customizations? As a designer, if a customer paid you for a fixed width and you delivered it, then they called you 3 days later and said they decided they want the option of offering fixed and fluid, would you tell them to use the default for the fluid design and "everyone will be a winner"? I doubt that somehow.

Naturally?

Do you hate me because I set a fixed width, or did I do something else to you that I don't remember?

Wait - were you that girl in the pink leather jacket at CBGBs in 1981? May I remind you that it was your idea to go downstairs! Those bathrooms scared me. And you gave me the jacket, I didn't steal it. You were pretty wasted after downing those 17 little bottles of Anbesol, but you clearly wanted me to have it. And you knew I was leaving for Philadelphia the next day. It was a one-night gig, I told you when we started making out in the dressing room. I didn't appreciate all the letters to my apartment over the following 18 months. You know, my girlfriend opened some of those.

Jeez, talk about holding a grudge.

My Styles are naturally so well designed they can be either fixed width or fluid :p I mentioned the Default xenforo style as your main non-Admin Nazi argument was that you didn't want to "maintain" two styles... so you have in effect answered in the affirmative that you are indeed an Admin Nazi who will give them exactly what YOU want.

Hey all power too you if your members will put up with it :)

And... On that incident.. sorry it seems like I may have blocked that one from my memory completely... but I have to say the pink leather jacket looks very fetching on you.

I take it some people don't read many books. Those publishers are going to hell for cramming all that text on those tiny little pages. How people were able to read an actual paragraph for all those years within the confines of those pages is beyond me.

:p

you are indeed an Admin Nazi who will give them exactly what YOU want.
Yes. Yes, I am. Just like Martin Scorsese is a "Nazi" because he won't make you your own special color version of Raging Bull.

I love the way you keep saying "Nazi," though. It reminds me of that night...
sorry it seems like I may have blocked that one from my memory completely...
I would like to block it from my memory, but I still have the Mason jar full of your blood that you sent to me (they won't take it at the hazardous waste disposal site), and every time a little bit spills out I am reminded of you.

Anyway, I hate fluid width because I'm not good at CSS and it's a pain in the ass trying to make sure things align right in both fixed and fluid, so my solution is to offer it with a plain header. But I resent giving people the option of not having to look at my lousy header. (Hey, I spent two weeks on that thing - suffer!)
Actually, the difference between a fixed- and fluid width style can be as simple as a few lines of CSS. In vB, this was extremely easy with a fluid-width base style and a fixed-width substyle that used the same templates with a slightly different style sheet.

The same works for basically every well designed CSS layout.

Personally, I don't like to read long lines of text. Column layouts do exist with a strong reason and it's a known fact that the ideal line length for reading text from a typical viewing distance is only a few inches.

But people are different and while I cannot understand why some people read documents in maximized windows (it simply HURTS to read lots of text at 1920 or 2560 horizontal resolution), a web site should not enforce a fixed width layout, because I can always adjust my browser's window width to any size I'm comfortable with. It contradicts the basic idea of HTML - it was designed as a markup language with the formatting being entirely client-sided.

I take it some people don't read many books. Those publishers are going to hell for cramming all that text on those tiny little pages. How people were able to read an actual paragraph for all those years within the confines of those pages is beyond me.
:p

Oh dear, you can't equate the two at all :p I rarely snuggle into bed with a forum.

Yes. Yes, I am. Just like Martin Scorsese is a "Nazi" because he won't make you your own special color version of Raging Bull.

I love the way you keep saying "Nazi," though. It reminds me of that night...I would like to block it from my memory, but I still have the Mason jar full of your blood that you sent to me (they won't take it at the hazardous waste disposal site), and every time a little bit spills out I am reminded of you.

Sigh.. I should have known... you were never likely to take any constructive advice, anyway, good luck to you sir, may your forum flourish in full glorious fixed widthorama.

*doffs hat with a flourish*

Actually, the difference between a fixed- and fluid width style can be as simple as a few lines of CSS. In vB, this was extremely easy with a fluid-width base style and a fixed-width substyle that used the same templates with a slightly different style sheet.

The same works for basically every well designed CSS layout.

Personally, I don't like to read long lines of text. Column layouts do exist with a strong reason and it's a known fact that the ideal line length for reading text from a typical viewing distance is only a few inches.

But people are different and while I cannot understand why some people read documents in maximized windows (it simply HURTS to read lots of text at 1920 or 2560 horizontal resolution), a web site should not enforce a fixed width layout, because I can always adjust my browser's window width to any size I'm comfortable with. It contradicts the basic idea of HTML - it was designed as a markup language with the formatting being entirely client-sided.

Indeed :) Well said.

To all who say it is hard... if you can't work out how to make a xenforo forum (which does it all for you, you only have to set the width of the left and right margins) fluid or fixed, then I would suggest just asking, it will take seconds to help you with it, or else reconsider doing any "styling" yourself. :)

Quit being a Forum Nazi hater hater!

no... :D

On a side note -

This is the same discussion in regards to automotive design. When automotive companies such as Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan, etc... ask the people what type of car they want them to build, the end result is always crap. People don't know what they want.

I suppose my opinon on this kinda sways back and forth.

I'll offer a fluid style yet I would blank out refuse a fixed width. Same with the styles itself, my styles are always light based though I'll never offer up a dark themed based, I just don't see the point in creating so many variations and then worrying about the maintenance involved. I say this from a designer resource providing graphics (not styles) although I can see kims point because she provides styles a fixed/fluid solution will always be provided. I can understand mjp reasoning simply because why even bother offering up a fluid solution? Why stop there, a dark themed variation? The list is endless to the point that you can be there all year developing solutions to compensate for everyone's needs.

Personally, I used to offer up many variations but the maintenance involved isn't worth my time when I can be focusing on providing content. If you don't like the style that houses the content the exit is anywhere you want it to be there are a million better stylers that will accomodate some but not all user preferences.

Back to kims point. Very valid points only because she provides styles, I'd expect this. I would offer up a fluid and fixed based solution if I provided styles but I don't so I wouldn't go out of my way spending time on catering for everyone's preference.

I've learned from experience is that you can't make everyone happy, nor should you try.

The individual knows what they want. PEOPLE do not know what they want...

Individuals/people collectively the same thing know what they want. They want more. You give them more they want more from you.

I want a style system linked to my mind that auto styles, makes the necessary improvements that I want to make and then auto saves everything. All this on a live environment. We want more, were never happy with what we are given.

Lol, I'm pretty sure I'd get similar responses from some members. It's true that most people do not like change and I feel exactly the same myself. But we know that eventually things will calm down and after a few weeks of habituation no one wants to go back to the old thing anymore.

Top Bottom