Implemented Ratings... name and shame

Kim

If you have open star ratings it is going to be abused, as we have already discovered here sadly (but completely predictable, in fact I said this to Kier a long time ago)

I would suggest that if you are going to keep the star ratings, that you at least show who voted and what they voted, that way cowardly trolls and haters are less likely to do so if they are then going to be shown for what they are.

Rating the hard work of others is not the place for anonymity.

Just an idea :)

Upvote 11
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Abuse goes both ways (over rating) IMO. I personally would rather see more of a review type system where you have multiple star ratings for specifics like Quality, Support, Bugs etc.. then forced to make a comment in order to submit. It would display your Avatar, name, date etc along with each rating and and overall rating. Could be a Tab on the main Resource Page (which I feel should be tabbed anyway to allow for other content like FAQs, Documentation, Change Log, Notes etc). again, just MY opinion.

I think it should take the "like" approach to an extent. The "dislike" button has been brought up before and it's been clear that they don't want the negativity behind such a button included in the software(I believe that's the main reason - could be wrong). So... why not carry the same thing to the RM; using something like "Recommend", it'd be able to show folks support for the addon without the ability to flame it really.

EDIT: - With this said, I personally would love to have a star rating system for my own personal use when it gets released

Reviews tied to ratings are already planned.

So it won't be possible to rate without leaving a comment.

One problem with that is... it's going to prevent people from simply being able to say they like it without writing an essay on why. Or, if the character limit is small enough it'll be a crapton of "+1" or something else in the text fields.

Multiple rating titles (as mentioned earlier and in other threads) along with accountability as to who rated what would go a long way. I think the current planned changes are good, but only fill a small niche of people that want to write a full review. We'll have to wait and see how it works, but communities are different and if it works (or fails) here, doesn't mean it'll do the same for others. I know xF likes to keep things lean and all, but hopefully more work in this area will happen.

Then again, I expect a lot of mods (and probably K&M do too) to the RM once it's released.

One problem with that is... it's going to prevent people from simply being able to say they like it without writing an essay on why. Or, if the character limit is small enough it'll be a crapton of "+1" or something else in the text fields.

Multiple rating titles (as mentioned earlier and in other threads) along with accountability as to who rated what would go a long way. I think the current planned changes are good, but only fill a small niche of people that want to write a full review. We'll have to wait and see how it works, but communities are different and if it works (or fails) here, doesn't mean it'll do the same for others. I know xF likes to keep things lean and all, but hopefully more work in this area will happen.

Then again, I expect a lot of mods (and probably K&M do too) to the RM once it's released.
I like the one rating option with a required comment. You only have to write an essay if you want to. It's the users choice how much they write or don't write.

Ditch the star ratings at xenforo.com.
+Like
+Reviews
-star ratings.

[Edit] I see the ratings have been ditched. The should also be reset to no ratings.ratings.disabled.webp
Would the disabling of the ratings warrant a Notice to inform everyone ?

Ditch the star ratings at xenforo.com.
+Like
+Reviews
-star ratings.
I don't agree with this. If you look at any successful online store, the star rating system has been a key element in their success. These are not posts, these are products. Great, I like the product. What does that tell me...that someone likes the product. I don't see any dislike option so there is no negative to balance the rating.

3 Likes vs a 3.5 Star Rating is very different. If something has 3.5 stars out of 5 there is a benchmark for me to compare the product against. It tells me that the product isn't perfect, but it's okay. The 3 likes however only tells me that 3 people liked the product. I have no idea how good or bad the product is behind those 3 likes.

Stick with the star rating and require comments. My suggestion.

One problem with that is...
I think it's fair to say from this and other threads that it will be impossible to please everyone.

There were complaints from some that the ratings were anonymous.
Others wanted to extend the ratings to cover different categories.
Some don't want ratings at all.
Others don't want the reviews tied to them.

The current plan is to tie reviews to ratings, primarily to reduce the anonymous low ratings with no justification.

I don't agree with this. If you look at any successful online store, the star rating system has been a key element in their success. These are not posts, these are products. Great, I like the product. What does that tell me...that someone likes the product. I don't see any dislike option so there is no negative to balance the rating.

3 Likes vs a 3.5 Star Rating is very different. If something has 3.5 stars out of 5 there is a benchmark for me to compare the product against. It tells me that the product isn't perfect, but it's okay. The 3 likes however only tells me that 3 people liked the product. I have no idea how good or bad the product is behind those 3 likes.

I agree. For instance, when I buy something from amazon I check the stars and the the user reviews with. Maybe the resource system is no shopping platform but having reviews from users why they find the addon useful and having their rating along with it would give good insight why an admin should install the addon...

Ratings are now disabled @ xenforo.com
If you look at any successful online store, the star rating system has been a key element in their success.
Youtube had star ratings. It was a failure. They went to Likes / Dislikes. I think Xenforo should just use Likes + comments. Ratings with mandatory comments might work ... would the comments be anonymous ?

I like the idea of ratings being tied with comments. Something I'd like to see taken a step farther, and probably an option when creating individual resources as not all of them would need it, would be the ability to tie ratings to versions. The iTunes store does this well and it's been a key factor in deciding to update some of my applications or not based on whether people rate the current version well or something messed up and causes less stability than before.

Since it looks like the RM is switching to have ratings and comments tied, can we be allowed to comment on the ratings? I don't think it should be open to everyone but at least the reviewer and the resource owner. In that way, should there be a negative review that was uncalled for or untrue (such as "1 star - Deleted my database!" or "1 star - no support"), the resource author has the ability to respond to it so that others seeing the rating and comment can understand that there might be more to the story than what the reviewer told.

I've seen several instances where a person leaves a poor review and leaves a negative comment only for the owner of the site indicating that while support was attempted, the person refused to cooperate–a situation where some of us have found ourselves I'm sure and being able to counter such things on the reviews directly would be extremely helpful.

Well...I look at it his way...

You should only have to leave a written feed back if it is not a 5 star rating. It should be optional if voting 5.

Here is why I look at it his way...

To me 5 starts is not exceptional. It is perfect. It does no more than it was stated that it would and no less. It has no major bugs that destroy any functionality and it is not intrusive to whatever else I am doing to put it simply.

Now...I am 'trying' to make addons and I make many mistakes...some mistakes are stupid things that I should know and/or simple syntax errors, some of them because I try to swing for the fence in my ballpark when really I should swinging for a sacrifice fly. Whatever the reason for my mistakes...they deserve stars deducted. By leaving feed back on anything less than 5 stars you maintain integrity in the rating system because you can make a person state the important reason of why they deducted a star.

A blind rating does not help someone improve their product and stating the 'why' will surely help them improve their product if that is what they want to do and if that someone took the time to create a resource and another found it at all useful in any way...why would another not want to leave feedback to someone as to how it could be improved in a quick professional manner?

Generally speaking at any shopping or ratings site... I don't take anyone seriously unless the people don't discuss money as the burdening factor...3rd party products for xenforo are kind of closed market and people spend time on stuff as a legit business and need earnings.

Since many of the people releasing free resources are also some of the same people who sell resources they would naturally take a stance against padded voting...I mean who wouldn't...I don't give a rat's ass who says what about me or what works I might do if they can't say it directly to me in a civilized manner...but...I TOTALLY understand that for serious developers and designers who actually make a living off of this... it is not an option to ignore it...

feedback is a critical part of the shopping experience...and proof is everyday life...if someone tells you yeah I bought two of those TV's and both broke within a day of each other...you probably won't even consider it or maybe even anything they make. If you say that to someone and it is not true...you are doing the injustice of lying to a friend at the cost of another.

Slighting someone online is much easier than in person because of the obvious anonymity vs. in person, and I believe it is making things right for the people who put in time and effort to deliver products many of which are free of charge to users like myself who are hardly capable of putting something together that is even worth sharing...

That's my take on it.

For the haters...if you need someone to hate on...do your job and feel free to deposit all of your negative stars on my stuff..http://splicd.com/e7z_ztMxBgk/42/48 :)

Top Bottom