Rant: I hate the Forum Home, it sucks.

Latest threads... Nothing else. Although, those alerts are great, and I love it, but me personally, I use latest threads view on forumhome.
You don't use What's New ?
Really ?
I'd love to know, for you specifically, what percentage of threads you view are from Latest Thread on the Forum home vs. everything else. 2 percent Latest thread vs 98% the rest ?

Digital, you should join some other forums and ask these questions so that the members there can tell you what's up.

You don't use What's New ?
Really ?
I'd love to know, for you specifically, what percentage of threads you view are from Latest Thread on the Forum home vs. everything else. 2 percent Latest thread vs 98% the rest ?
90% goes to forumhome latest thread, 10% goes to those lovely, beautiful alerts.

The only time that I use "What's new" is tracking down the troublemakers. If I missed any.

90% goes to forumhome latest thread, 10% goes to those lovely, beautiful alerts.
The only time that I use "What's new" is tracking down the troublemakers. If I missed any.
Are you talking here .. Xenforo.com ? or your CODforums ? How many times a day do you look at CODforums's forum home ?

DD .. I know exactly how you feel! I shut my forum down a few years ago and was finally getting ready to relaunch last year (kinda regretting waiting this long to decide what forum software to use).

I used to hack my old vB3 templates to shreds to come up with what I felt was a much cleaner simpler way of conveying all the same information. Images and icons are nice at first .. but real forums are essentially all about content and information. I don't have any old screenshots for you .. but here's a link via the wayback machine .. there are a few things that look a bit different and black spaces because of the way it's rendered on the WBM .. but it gives you a good idea.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080211141938/http://www.clubmusicforums.com/forums/

The whole big red user access / registration area compressed to a single line after registration and the whole box reverted to the main forums colours. So it looked even prettier after logging in. Also .. the red column on the left of the forum names was actually colour coded depending on if there was activity since your last visit (they all appear red because the WBM was obviously not logged in)! ;)

It's also important to note that this was back in the mid 2000's as screens were getting larger and larger and wider .. and although I made the main table sizes flexible, there was no real need for an ultra thin version needed for mobile today!

Digital, you should join some other forums and ask these questions so that the members there can tell you what's up.
MEH.

metro-style-jpg.39485

I'd say MinerSkinz has a winner !
A better review later.

Bad thing about that is that most people will never see/click that. Subforums in a drop-down are a perfect example of that.
That's my concern.
But at Waindigo.com it seems to work OK.
But I think having IMAGES on the Tabs might help to attract the needed attention.

MEH.

metro-style-jpg.39485

I'd say MinerSkinz has a winner !
A better review later.

To me that is immensely visually confusing, I have no idea where to focus... I would not stick around on a site that offered information in this format.
I know I am just one voice in the billions, but it would not be for me.

I do love the Pintrest style however, whereby there is minimal information overload, and the images speak for themselves.

Or the rpdom.com style is good, without too much images... In this designers opinion you can't have both a lot of visual information via images AND a lot of boxes and text, it is just too much. >_<

Tiles are not very useful for information display. Not unless you have 6 forums or less to display. More than that becomes confusing.
Tabs are very useful, but it hides content in the same way the subforum dropdowns do. Only a small % clicks on it unless each tab offers something highly attractive. (like different content types)

Top Bottom