Rant: I hate the Forum Home, it sucks.

It's not really trolling. It deals with an important topic which is relatively central to forum software.
I think what you are saying is you have no ideas ? :)

Heh i just noticed something... just as i posted my last comment and clicked "what's new".. i got an alert for the like.. It's too fast to be believable.. it was not even 3 secs since i posted..o_O Is there an auto-like feature or something?

Heh i just noticed something... just as i posted my last comment and clicked "what's new".. i got an alert for the like.. It's too fast to be believable.. it was not even 3 secs since i posted..o_O Is there an auto-like feature or something?
Something weird just happened to me as well.

xenforo.bug.smile.popup.webp

When I refreshed, (just before the last image) it resolved.
Some javascripty glitch ?

ok. rlly l8 now.

I hate that the "home" button on the forum sends you to xenforo.com, rather than the forum home. It just doesn't feel naturally.
Same with clicking the logo. I always click the logo of a site to go to the index. It feels unnatural to go up a whole directory.

Quite a few of my members tell me they don't really use the home page - they just read the site via the What's New? navigation link.

Change the home page up if you don't like it.
I've seen some rather impressive setups, people take the time to organize the sections with different colors, as well as unique icons.
I think those two things will help tremendously ;)

Why not just write your forum index to something else (like recent activity or what's new) to make it more interesting?

Most of my users sit in the recent activity area or on the xenporta portal home.
I hate to say that most of my users aren't forum savvy and that's why they resort to this. Something about clicking a category seems to complicated for them. It's insane.

I was debating building a new page that kinda of is pinterest/facebook group/twitter inspired. Theirs two development turtorials that could be modified to make this happen. I think that if that was my forum index. I'd get a lot more activity.

I think it might be too many queries or too much load though. Unless I narrowed it down to under 5 topics and had a way to truncate all posts until the most recent pots (like facebook does)

I do agree with you maybe we should add recent activity and recent post and threads in widget either in the sidebar or in the top of forum-list

I think it's up to admins to make the forum home page look more interesting. We integrated pictures from the gallery which helps a lot and is a good way to increase photo traffic.

Top Bottom