Fixed random formating between normal editor and raw editor

Adam Howard

I'm going to try to explain this the best I can. But if you're confused or I'm not clear, please let me know.

If you were to review the text blow in the raw editor, then switched to the standard editor and continued typing from say for example the line that reads, "More normal text here" ....

You'd have a fairly good chance of suddenly watching the new text you typed become bold, even if you started typing that text in the middle of that sentence. Or maybe not bold, maybe you'd pick up the color text code.

The point being is the formatting would randomly generate wherever you where typing.

Bold, Center, size 4

Bold Color text:
  • Bullet 1
  • Bullet 2
  • Bullet 3
  • Bullet 4
More normal text here. Even more normal text here.

Or in the above example, the BOLD, Center, size 4 in the post above didn't stay in the center as it displayed in my editor before I hit submit.

Can you give steps to reproduce? As in what you typed, what buttons you clicked, where the cursor was (and if applicable, what you highlighted).

I'll need to be able to reproduce this to do any sort of debugging.

Can you give steps to reproduce? As in what you typed, what buttons you clicked, where the cursor was (and if applicable, what you highlighted).

I'll need to be able to reproduce this to do any sort of debugging.

OK, I assume I wasn't explaining it clearly and I guess I wasn't. My bad (my fault).

Sure, you should use post 1 as an example... ie... Use it as a template.

xf-editor.webp

Typing in some text where I left off. Then switch between the normal editor and the raw code editor.

Then type in some more text. And if you're using Firefox 22 as I was (because I'm not going to rule out that it could be a browser issue), it may also be a factor.

But the end result is one of the following

• Layout may not be kept when save
  • Formatting, for example BOLD, that isn't being used in X location, but way up in Y location, may suddenly be applied as you type in X location.

I'm hoping I'm making that clear. It's possible I'm not, but I'm trying. :)

Either I'm still not understanding or I just can't reproduce what you're saying. I definitely don't see why bold would randomly switch on.

This is why I need reproduction steps, preferable from an empty post.

I can reproduce the centering thing, but that's a separate issue.

Steps to reproduce this....
  • Use Firefox (I'm not currently using anything else)
  • Start typing a message
  • After your message.... Space between 1 - 2 lines and....
  • Type some bold, large text line (above standard size), and center it.
  • Make a new line (between 1 - 2 spaces down)
  • Without centering it, using normal font size, but bold and colors type something out.
  • Next line in normal text, make a few bullets
  • Go back up and delete that "extra line" that seems to come into being when you make bullets
  • After your bullets, type some more message
  • Go back and delete the extra line which comes into being when you exit bullets.
  • Switch between the normal editor to the "raw editor"
  • Switch back to the normal editor and type something in the middle of your message
This should repeat the formatting bug.

And if anything, it should also bring to attention the extra lines / spacing that seems to sometimes gets added above or below bullets.

couldn't reproduce.. maybe you wanna make a video.

ok here is the first line message
this is last step message...

this text is bold(last step message) centered and bigger size.
  1. bullet one
  2. bullet two(last step message)
  3. bullet three
type some more message
this message has been typed in raw editor....

Edit: @Adam Howard

ok here is the first line message
this is last step message...

this text is bold(last step message) centered and bigger size.

Color:

• bullet one
  • bullet two(last step message)
  • bullet three
type some more message
this message has been typed in raw editor....

Edit: @Adam Howard
fixed

Try playing with that....

Couldn't reproduce but to honest, you message is not really understandable. Most of the steps are not needed at my opinion . Just focus on your problem using a very few lines. And if you want to help developers, you can also do this:
  1. Before toggling to the bbcode mode paste the content of the html content of the RTE using Firebug.
  2. Then paste the content of your BbCode editor content (no need to go the html mode)
  3. Toggle back to the RTE mode and redo the first step
Example with this message:
RTE Before:
HTML:
<body contenteditable="true" dir="LTR" style="overflow-y: hidden; min-height: 99px;"><p>Couldn't reproduce but to honest, you message is not really understandable. Most of the steps are at my opinion not needed. Just focus on your problem using a very few lines. And if you want help developers, do this:<br></p><ol><li>Before toggling to the bbcode mode do a screenshot of the content of the RTE <u>and</u> paste the content of the html content of the RTE using Firebug. <br></li><li>Then paste the content of your BbCode editor content (no need to go the html mode)</li><li>Toggle back to the RTE mode and redo the first step&nbsp;</li></ol><p>Example with this message:</p><p><br type="_moz"></p><br><br _moz_editor_bogus_node="TRUE"></body>

BBCODE:

Code:
Couldn't reproduce but to honest, you message is not really understandable. Most of the steps are at my opinion not needed. Just focus on your problem using a very few lines. And if you want help developers, do this:
[LIST=1]
[*]Before toggling to the bbcode mode do a screenshot of the content of the RTE [U]and[/U] paste the content of the html content of the RTE using Firebug. 

[*]Then paste the content of your BbCode editor content (no need to go the html mode)
[*]Toggle back to the RTE mode and redo the first step 
[/LIST]
Example with this message:

RTE After:
HTML:
<body contenteditable="true" dir="LTR" style="overflow-y: hidden; min-height: 99px;"><p>Couldn't reproduce but to honest, you message is not really understandable. Most of the steps are at my opinion not needed. Just focus on your problem using a very few lines. And if you want help developers, do this:<br></p><ol><li>Before toggling to the bbcode mode do a screenshot of the content of the RTE <u>and</u> paste the content of the html content of the RTE using Firebug. <br></li><li>Then paste the content of your BbCode editor content (no need to go the html mode)</li><li>Toggle back to the RTE mode and redo the first step&nbsp;</li></ol><p>Example with this message:</p><p><br type="_moz"></p><br><br _moz_editor_bogus_node="TRUE"></body>

This is my FINAL example. I will be typing out the instructions here in this example. Write up a paragraph. For argument sake keep writing until you're on maybe the second line inside your editor window. NEXT hit enter 2x.

Click on the BOLD button, align center, make the text large

Hit enter 2x, align text to the left, bold, color, normal size text

• Revert back to normal text size , normal type and no color
  • Make bullets like this
  • Not numbers
Type another paragraph. Keep on typing until you have again made a nice line going across. For argument sake until the word wrap brings you to the 2nd line. NEXT switch to the RAW EDITOR (the editor which you can see the BB CODE). Type some more text in that editor. Then switch BACK to the normal editor. Make sure the layout is still the same (I find it changes, this would be bug 1). But not always. If there is nothing to fix, continue typing. And surprise your text may now suddenly be BOLD. But wait! You saw the BB CODE. There was no code here. This is bug #2.

Last edited:
^ Above is the best way I can help someone reproduce the steps. I offer both a visual example (the whole post is an example) and as I type, I write out the instructions and steps I used.

I don't know how to make it any clearer without recording a video of my desktop and I don't know any free programs that would allow me to do so. But if anyone knows of any, please let me know. :)

Unfortunately I haven't managed to reproduce the issue.

Not the best video. I did use a free program to make it called, Utility Spotlight and it refused to do a full screen. But still got the job done.

Here.... Follow this... (full screen would be best).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ps. .... ignore my mouse. It doesn't look like that on my computer. Its just the video program doesn't like my screen size.

Last edited:
Let me just say that the video is very helpful because the order in which things is done is very important -- notably, I didn't know until now that you're typing all the text and going back to add the formatting.

Let me just say that the video is very helpful because the order in which things is done is very important -- notably, I didn't know until now that you're typing all the text and going back to add the formatting.

I usually format it as I type. But for the video I didn't. With the current bug, it would be harder to format it the way things are.

A cleaner version for viewing (found a better program)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So I couldn't reproduce the bold thing in FF 21 or the current Aurora build. That said, I made a change that relates to the behavior when switching back to the RTE that may well be preventing this. Can you still reproduce it?

The line break issue should be sorted as well.

General test message. Trying to see if this bug remains or not. Figured it be easier to post this in the support forum, thank you Mike for reviewing this issue. I noticed the save draft notice is viewable this time. That's a plus. Was going to report that if you noticed in the past video it wasn't there

2x space, bold, center, large text

2x space, bold, normal size, color
  • bulletin
  • bulletin
  • bulletin
  • bulletin
And finally for the final test. FIXED. Thank you @Mike You did a wonderful job, please keep up the good work :)

Top Bottom