Lack of interest Rage Post Deletion Account lock

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Alpha1

All forums see it happening now and again. A member gets pissed about something someone else has said and deletes all his posts in a moment of rage. Even if the board does not allow members to delete posts. The member will simply blank out his posts. If the member has a lot of posts this wrecks many threads. It generates a huge mess for moderators to clean up.

To counter this I suggest the following:
If a member edits more than X posts older than a week within Y minutes then block the user from editing posts and generate a report.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I just set the edit cutoff time to a day or two.

In normal use people only need to edit posts very soon after posting to correct typos and grammar.

Letting people edit what they say later on often makes no sense of the thread anyway, especially if their original post has been quoted

That solution only works if forums are purely used for discussion. As soon as threads are used for things any form of information compiling like recipes, summaries, best answers, tutorials, articles, youtube embeds, etc then it makes sense to allow editing over time.
My moderators do not have time to manually update thousands of posts that my members currently update.

Sounds like more of an add-on thing rather than something to be in the core. I'd hate it to be in core and find it unprofessional and niche.

"XenForo 1.6 introduces a new "user raeg feateur!! stop ur members ragin'"

That solution only works if forums are purely used for discussion. As soon as threads are used for things any form of information compiling like recipes, summaries, best answers, tutorials, articles, youtube embeds, etc then it makes sense to allow editing over time.
My moderators do not have time to manually update thousands of posts that my members currently update.
Fair enough. I would use resource manager for that sort of thing

Yes, I am aware of that function. It doesn't work well for edits done between date X and Y. Often it takes time before it becomes clear that posts have been destroyed. It took 3 months before we received a report about a member replacing 100+ of his posts by images of a genital. Meanwhile new post edits were made.
This is why I contracted @Daniel Hood to have this functionality fixed so that it can be used to revert edits within any time frame. Released here.

But fixing damage is not as good as preventing damage. As said it can take a long time before damage is discovered. And damage can be very substantial if its a long time member. We prefer not to have pictures of genitals replacing valuable information.
And not only is it good to prevent damage from being done, its also valuable to be made aware when a member is doing something malicious.

This is why I contracted @Daniel Hood to have this functionality fixed so that it can be used to revert edits within any time frame. Released here.
This suggestion wouldn't be too difficult to make as an add-on, as well. Though I must admit I don't find anything niche about this and it seems like a reasonable suggestion for the core.

I'd hate it to be in core and find it unprofessional and niche.
Its fine that you don't like it. But I am not just posting a random or exotic suggestion. I'm coming from over a decade of big board experience and can tell you its an issue. You will find plenty discussion about rage deletions on admin forums. Especially by big board owners. Its a real problem that is frequently occurring on sites that allow editing. Its not without reason that XF added the post destruction rollback to the core.

In general I think its a good idea to have functions in the core that correct destructive or malicious member behavior.

Its a real problem that is frequently occurring on sites that allow editing. Its not without reason that XF added the post destruction rollback to the core.
Also worth noting that they limit the amount of time for which you can edit a post due to the fact that such behavior has been exhibited here.

And not only is it good to prevent damage from being done, its also valuable to be made aware when a member is doing something malicious.

Are your members not reporting genital image posts?

Never mind, I see your request is actually to generate a report to moderators if a certain threshold is reached for edits.

Top Bottom