Raffles for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

As much as I can appreciate the usefulness of that add-on, I don't normally program anything that depends on another author's add-on. Invariably if I do, I end up supporting their add-on or having to support users with unusual configurations of another add-on. As an example, just by including the ability to interface with credit/point systems I have a user that wants to use multiple currencies with the raffle system. That's not supported and it can be difficult to explain why without alienating people.
Well, one thing that I see that it would be beneficial on, is that currently if you use WF, and you set the raffle to put on the sidebar, it puts it immediately below the visitor panel and ahead of any of the widgets you have defined. I personally don't want the raffle stuff shown above my users online block. ;)

Well, one thing that I see that it would be beneficial on, is that currently if you use WF, and you set the raffle to put on the sidebar, it puts it immediately below the visitor panel and ahead of any of the widgets you have defined. I personally don't want the raffle stuff shown above my users online block. ;)
I've actually taken a much softer stance on this now and included support for the Widget Framework in a couple of my add-ons. I'll consider it for the next update.

I didn't notice it.. but is there the ability (now or planned) to only run the raffle if a set number of entries are received?

I can see where it would be beneficial to allow an extension to occur so that more people could participate. You could show in the rules for the raffle that there must be at least X number of tickets issued for the drawing to take place or the raffle will be extended by a set period.

I didn't notice it.. but is there the ability (now or planned) to only run the raffle if a set number of entries are received?

I can see where it would be beneficial to allow an extension to occur so that more people could participate. You could show in the rules for the raffle that there must be at least X number of tickets issued for the drawing to take place or the raffle will be extended by a set period.
It can already be done.

Set the raffle end date to some absurd date that is say 1 year out. Then set 'Maximum Raffle Entries' to the number of entries needed to draw the raffle. It will then show something like this on the raffle description page...

Enter Through: Sep 10, 2015 10:00 AM
Or when 100 entries are received.
Draw Date: Sep 10, 2015 10:05 AM
Or when 100 entries are received.

Didn't think to work it like that.
I was thinking along the lines of a End Date = XXX
Minimum entries required = YYY
If Min Entries ≠ YYY then extend 30 days

As an actual option in the raffle. The method you outline will work, but is not readily apparent at first view. :D
The benefit of my method is you don't have to define a date far in the future... let the system do it programatically.

Last edited:
Didn't think to work it like that.
I was thinking along the lines of a End Date = XXX
Minimum entries required = YYY
If Min Entries ≠ YYY then extend 30 days
This way you don't a

As an actual option in the raffle. The method you outline will work, but is not readily apparent at first view. :D
The benefit of my method is you don't have to define a date far in the future... let the system do it programatically.
Actually, the original version from the vB raffle add-on did something like this. It would continually advance the raffle end date by 7 days until the number of entries needed were received.

The problem people had with that was the raffle could end up never being drawn. So, the automatic advance was removed in preference for an either/or situation.

The problem people had with that was the raffle could end up never being drawn. So, the automatic advance was removed in preference for an either/or situation.
The way around that would be to allow a maximum of 3 extensions (or a definable number) and then draw it no matter what.
Like I said, for a smaller board it would be nice. I've only got about 6 active members so if I could "drag" it out a little longer it might benefit.
Just something to think about for a future enhancement. Like I said, the other works but the extendable x amount of times would work better. ;)

@Snog, on the PM alerts, I noticed that when it created one for alerting the user, it had it locked/closed for replies. In my case, it would be nice if the conversation would be left open so that they could reply (since I am requesting that they provide mailing information for me to ship the item to them with the notice).

Is there a way to force the conversation to be kept open, or would you think of doing it as an option?

@Snog, on the PM alerts, I noticed that when it created one for alerting the user, it had it locked/closed for replies. In my case, it would be nice if the conversation would be left open so that they could reply (since I am requesting that they provide mailing information for me to ship the item to them with the notice).

Is there a way to force the conversation to be kept open, or would you think of doing it as an option?
Until I can group together enough changes to do an update you can edit the library/Snog/Raffles/Helper/DataWriter.php file.

Change this line..
Code:
$conversationDw->set('conversation_open', 0);

To this..
Code:
$conversationDw->set('conversation_open', 1);

That should keep the conversation open for replies.

The other option is to put a link into your PM that tells the winner to contact you with their information.

Last edited:
Until I can group together enough changes to do an update you can edit the library/Snog/Raffles/Helper/DataWriter.php file.

Change this line..
Code:
$conversationDw->set('conversation_open', 0);

To this..
Code:
$conversationDw->set('conversation_open', 1);

That should keep the conversation open for replies.
Thanks... that's what I will do then!

The other option is to put a link into your PM that tells the winner to contact you with their information.
The point was to keep it to one conversation instead of 2. I use an add-on that I restrict the "inbox" of the end users conversations to a set amount of open ones.

@SnogI am requesting that they provide mailing information for me to ship the item to them with the notice?
Was thinking about that too, and turned out that I might allow raffles entries only to people who have filled their mailing info first, and avoid the extra work, issues like this and the info hunt.

Last edited:
Was thinking about that too, and turned out that I might allow raffles entries only to people who have filled their mailing info first, and avoid the extra work, issues like this and the info hunt.
That is a good solution but you are now holding personally identifiable information for your members in your database. That could open up a whole different can of worms should something happen to your database.

Indeed, but I don't think there's a perfect solution... Setting up a way to delete these infos along with the obsolete raffles? It would still temporarily store these in the database I guess?

Another question: I've found that when I select "Agreement" as a question and enter some text in the "expected answer" so the checkbox is displayed, people can still submit the form without having to actually check the box. I was expecting an error message telling them to check the box in order to have the application submitted since it's an agreement.
Is it intended?
Thanks

Indeed, but I don't think there's a perfect solution... Setting up a way to delete these infos along with the obsolete raffles? It would still temporarily store these in the database I guess?

The collection of extra user info is not a part of the raffle system. So, there would be no way to delete the info.

Another question: I've found that when I select "Agreement" as a question and enter some text in the "expected answer" so the checkbox is displayed, people can still submit the form without having to actually check the box. I was expecting an error message telling them to check the box in order to have the application submitted since it's an agreement.
Is it intended?
Thanks
You are asking about the Advanced Application Forms add-on in the Raffle add-on thread.

But to answer your question, did you enter a 'Question Error' for the 'Agreement' to make the question mandatory?

Aww sorry about this note to self: stop multitasking :D :whistle:
Ha, no I entered it in the validation error field, but it works with the question error. Thanks (y)

Top Bottom