XF 1.0 Quoting Multiple Posts

You may have noticed how the 'Reply' links on messages focus the quick reply editor, and pull in a quoted version of the message to which you are replying so that you can easily edit/trim your quote.

Have you also noticed however, that you are not limited to quoting a single message? You can click the 'reply' link on multiple messages and each of them will deliver their content to the quick reply box.

I say Multi-Quote (kinda) because at present this functionality is limited to messages on the same page, but I plan to allow this to operate across multiple pages in due course.

You may have noticed how the 'Reply' links on messages focus the quick reply editor, and pull in a quoted version of the message to which you are replying so that you can easily edit/trim your quote.

Have you also noticed however, that you are not limited to quoting a single message? You can click the 'reply' link on multiple messages and each of them will deliver their content to the quick reply box.

I say Multi-Quote (kinda) because at present this functionality is limited to messages on the same page, but I plan to allow this to operate across multiple pages in due course.
If quality is too low, change it to 720p and go full screen, or download the original source here;
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/693961/xf_multiquote.mov

Seeing how this post is about multi quote posting, it's demonstrating how to post multiple quotes.

Good thing you posted this.. I remember making a topic about not knowing you could "multi" quote with the same button

woo, RELY i like it , you are my HERO

And what about the possibility to quote just a selection of a specified message. I've used such a mod on my previous VB4 forum and that was a function that all my users miss a lot...

I say Multi-Quote (kinda)
multiquote.to.clipboard.webp

How about being able to quote via this popup ?
Just collect all the quotes you want and paste it into the reply box.

Because that pop-up performs separate functionality.
I was aware of the separate functionality.
What is your suggestion then ?

Kier mentioned (previously) he didn't like alot of multiquote things as they "junked up" the UI. Putting in a multiquote button on every post just for it to get used 1% of the time probably would qualify as junked up.
My suggestion allows multiquote, for the power users, but doesn't impact the UI.

Is this something we are likely to see in 1.1?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

If clutter is the problem you could follow Youtube and hide some things when the mouse is not over posts.
There are so many cool things that could be done if xenforo had a hover over area. As much as the hover over "Display first post contents" is cool, it's not that useful. I haven't used it once ! I would probably keep that but make another hover over location.

Multi-quote could be very effectively implemented with a hover over option.
I like that better than the click the permalink to multiquote.

I suggested clicking the permalink idea, because it is leveraging something that already exists.

I like the idea that a mod maker for vB did. You highlight the text you wanna quote, when you let go of the mouse button, a small box pops up that says "Quote", if you click it, it'll insert the quote with the appropriate quote BBCODE wrapped around it in the reply box.

This allows for quoting of specific sentences within text, multiple quotes from different authors, instead of quoting the ENTIRE post, but then allowing you to respond to the actual items you wished to, much quicker and easier. It was called "iQuote" I think. Anyway, great mod, stayed out of the way, did what it should and did it easily.

I like the idea that a mod maker for vB did. You highlight the text you wanna quote, when you let go of the mouse button, a small box pops up that says "Quote", if you click it, it'll insert the quote with the appropriate quote BBCODE wrapped around it in the reply box.

This allows for quoting of specific sentences within text, multiple quotes from different authors, instead of quoting the ENTIRE post, but then allowing you to respond to the actual items you wished to, much quicker and easier. It was called "iQuote" I think. Anyway, great mod, stayed out of the way, did what it should and did it easily.
I like that too.
But that is a seperate issue.

Not sure if it's been said yet, but I always thought a multi-quote system based on text selection, kind of like what certain smart phone browsers (Dolphin) do when you select text on a web page, would be really flexible and efficient, then the typical multi-quote button. You select text, and and options appear to copy, paste or quote (or even search...something). Not sure how feasible it is, or what you'd choose to show the stored quotes as they're collected, but seems like it'd be nice if worked out.

Another possibility is showing "Quote" at the end of each paragraph in posts when the mouse is hovered over it. The last paragraph would also show "Quote whole post". This combines the flexibility of the vB mod and the usability of XF.

Top Bottom