I am considering to buy a license sometime this month to try out my very first forum software and very first website attempt... Like anyone new to this field, I've got tons of questions in mind, but I'd like to ask the essential ones first:
1. What is the realistic limit in terms of the number of user groups that you can have in this forum software without slowing down the site? I've got a couple of major design ideas about this site, and one of which might be pretty ambitious-I basically want to categorize users by assigning them each to a default user group according to certain set of custom user profile fields, then after they login, each user will be redirected to a different front page based on which default user group he/she is in, and if I go with this design idea, it could potentially reach a big number of user groups if the foundamental idea of the site goes well. Has any xenForo site used extensively user groups and runs pretty smoothly?
2. Are there any user group based Calendar and Event Scheduler for xenForo? I saw some xenForo sites used Calendar, but I haven't seen one using user group based Calendar...
3. Can admin configure xenForo so that there is number of charaters limit for each reply for certain threads, basically, for certain forum categories, only short replies allowed?
4. Can xenForo be configured that there is a time limit be placed on certain threads, like letting some specific threads run for only a week then it stops accepting replies? Or letting all threads in some specific forum categories to run for only a week then gets locked automatically?
5. Can admin configure xenForo so that when user opens up a thread, some related threads could show up on the side?
Please bear with my English, hopefully what I've written is understandable... Thanks in advance for anyone who replies!