Questions Before Migrating From VB

tafreehm

Hello,
I m migrating soon to xf very soon. I have got few question.

• I see no friend's list here as vb does. So whats gonna happen for those who have setup a friend list. I can't loose them. So whats gonna happen to buddy list after migration ? I am also using comet chat that uses vb buddy list help users to communicate.
  • Is there any guide/tutorial on how to perform successful migration ?
  • I have vbulletin suite. That i have turned off CMS from day one. I am using Vb blogs tho. Whats gonna happen to my blog post ?
  • Also whats gonna happen to vb groups ?
  • I have been using this vb add-on Post Thank You Hack. Is there any way I can import all thanks received and given data imported to xf as likes ?
  • does xf-vb importer imports all smileys ? and custom bbcodes ?

Thanks, I will add more question as I find them.

Regards,

Hello,
I m migrating soon to xf very soon. I have got few question.

• I see no friend's list here as vb does. So whats gonna happen for those who have setup a friend list. I can't loose them. So whats gonna happen to buddy list after migration ? I am also using comet chat that uses vb buddy list help users to communicate.
  • Is there any guide/tutorial on how to perform successful migration ?
  • I have vbulletin suite. That i have turned off CMS from day one. I am using Vb blogs tho. Whats gonna happen to my blog post ?
  • Also whats gonna happen to vb groups ?
  • I have been using this vb add-on Post Thank You Hack. Is there any way I can import all thanks received and given data imported to xf as likes ?
  • does xf-vb importer imports all smileys ? and custom bbcodes ?

Thanks, I will add more question as I find them.

Regards,
1. I have seen posts that say they are converted into followers (friends), so all friends turn into followers.
2. http://xenforo.com/help/importing/
3. LN Blog offers a importer but I am not sure if its public yet, you can discuss about that in the add-on topic - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ln-blog.26841/
4. There is an add-on for social groups that also handles importing, I am not aware of any other alternative - http://xenforo.com/community/resources/social-groups-for-xenforo.267/

I can't help you with your fifth and sixth questions since I have no idea.

Thank you. one more question: I notice that we have primary group and secondary group option in admin cp. How can I show a rank as an image in postbit template. I wanna show two ranks as an image under user avatar, One for primary usergroup and if user have secondary usergroup it should show another image below. Is it possible to do so ?

i also thank you for those answers since they were my questions too .
do you have any plan for implementing blog and social groups like features in near future?
does XenForo support right to left languages as well ? such as farsi ? does it have farsi language support ?
the Vbulletin fan base in Iran is huge though and the only thing causes people not to convert their board IMHO is beacause of the lack of langauge support.
anyway , when do you plan to make an official importer for vb4 series ?
Thank you in advance

Thank you. one more question: I notice that we have primary group and secondary group option in admin cp. How can I show a rank as an image in postbit template. I wanna show two ranks as an image under user avatar, One for primary usergroup and if user have secondary usergroup it should show another image below. Is it possible to do so ?

Here is a guide for implementing ranks:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-ranks-in-css.430/

You can check groups like this:

Code:
<!-- Start User Ranks -->
<xen:if is="{xen:helper ismemberof, $user, 4}">
<span class="userrank">RANK 4</span>
</xen:if>

<xen:if is="{xen:helper ismemberof, $user, 5}">
<span class="userrank">RANK 5</span>

<xen:if is="{xen:helper ismemberof, $user, 6}">
<span class="userrank">RANK 6</span>
<!-- End User Ranks -->

do you have any plan for implementing blog and social groups like features in near future?

I haven't seen any official announcements regarding these features. Right now you have to use addons to get those features.

does XenForo support right to left languages as well ? such as farsi ? does it have farsi language support ?

Yes it supports "right to left" languages. I don't see a "farsi" language pack. Here is an Arabic one:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/arabic-language.55/

You can always create your own language pack but it takes a lot of time to translate all of the phrases.

when do you plan to make an official importer for vb4 series ?

There is an unofficial importer which is based on the official one for vB3:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/vbulletin-4-to-xenforo-importer.256/

It works very well.

thank you very much .
if there were a language importer it would be great too .
usually both forum softwares use phrases , so if a one by one pair of similar phrase is mapped in a database of some kind the job of converting languages from vb would be very simple then . this would remove the burden of re translating everything from scratch , even if the conversion doesnt yell 100% success in terms of converting all phrases in vb , it will definitely get most of the job done IMH or at least make it tolerable to start .
the conversion or this so called pair mapping , would have a priority , i mean , you can start by making a list of most important sections ( more public areas which members mostly use ) and then provide the database for that and as the time goes on make it more complete .
any idea on that ?

Another Question:
I got vb right now with Attachment saved as all files.

What would be the process to import all attachment and have them work with Xenforo ?
I means isnt importer only convert database, how importer gonna deal with attachments ?

Another Question:
I got vb right now with Attachment saved as all files.

What would be the process to import all attachment and have them work with Xenforo ?
I means isnt importer only convert database, how importer gonna deal with attachments ?

The importer reads the attachments from the file system and writes them to XenForo (which also stores attachments in the file system). It will ask you to confirm the server path to the vB attachments when you run the import.

Another Question.
Currently I have vb forum installed in main/parent directory, and I m planning to have XF forum in same directory. Now in the manual by XF it describe the process after logging into xf admin panel. My question is Should I upload all the files by xf in same directory and have them mixed up with vb files or should I delete vb files first and then upload xf files. Because, I m not sure after deleting vb files, importer will work properly or not (I migrated from smf to vb long long time ago, I pretty much forgot).

Can someone please guide me on this. Just tell me the process before I get to login to xf panel.

I would create a new directory for XF during the import. That way you don't overwrite your vB forum until the XF forum is ready. Then you can move XF to the web root (remove vB files, move the XF files into place).

okay.
Now I was just going through Demo Admin Panel, and I could not find any option for automatic user upgrades, Like changing usergroup by using post criteria.
For example: where is the option to move user from newbie usergroup to active usergroup if user got more than 40 posts ?

Also, How I can style each user title that shows under username ?

For the user promotion, have a looksee here UsersUser -> GroupsUser ->Group Promotions

For the styling, you mean outside of the .ccs and the ability to do them individually right? If so, no idea.

Top Bottom