Question threads: Ability to upvote or downvote the question itself

Andrej

Maybe this is a niche request, however I think it could be good to have the ability to upvote or downvote the question itself (like on Stack Exchange). Especially thinking of question forums. That way users could upvote good questions and downvote bad questions. Perhaps, if a user finds a existing question, he/she wants to upvote it because the user had a similar question, or/and that question (along with the answers) were helpful to the user. Naturally, question forums would have a new option to sort by question vote count.

Upvote 10
Coming in version 2.2! :)

IMO, there are no bad questions. I also really dislike when members of my forum trash talk other members for asking questions that they can just Google. From my point of view, those questions can pull in traffic from search engines too.

And if it's spam, it can always be deleted by a moderator.

IMO, there are no bad questions.
I more or less agree with that. I suppose telling people they are asking bad questions without giving them the reason (which voting would do) is a good way to prune your forum of users. Herd immunity seems to be popular these days.

I can think of valid reasons to politely inform somebody the answer is in FAQs or easily searchable on your forum. It's always a good idea to make it clear that it's a good idea to read FAQs or search before asking. You can do that in a forum via a notice, a "read this" sticky or custom thread field.

I also use the similar threads addon by @AndyB which also informs somebody if the question has been previously asked.

But to just give someone's post a thumbs down with no explanation is quite rude IMO

I am suggesting a addition to the new question threads/forums feature, as noted in the first post. You can't vote on the questions itself, only on the answers.
Serious question: What is point of a "best" question when all questions are different subjects etc? Or seeing how they rank? For what purpose?

Last edited:
Serious question: What is point of a "best" question when all questions are different subjects etc? Or seeing how they rank? For what purpose?
There might be different categories or forums for different purposes - for example like at the StackExchange sites. Voting for that would rank the necessity or "quality" of a question within its category.

I have very focused as well as broad categories in my niche and I do not see a need for this. Thanks for explaining though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom