Question: Shared/VPS Hosting

Null

Hey!

I'm just wondering (for those of you using a shared host) if you'll spare a few minutes and answer a few questions (just doing some research).

1. who is your host?
2. how much storage and bandwidth do you get?
3. do you have a control panel included?
4. does the package include backups?
5. what's the most important to you (feature wise)?
6. what don't you have, but would like to have?
7. how much are you paying?

Thank you!

Hey!

I'm just wondering (for those of you using a shared host) if you'll spare a few minutes and answer a few questions (just doing some research).

1. who is your host? Hostgator
2. how much storage and bandwidth do you get? Unlimited
3. do you have a control panel included? Cpanel- yes, if that's what you mean
4. does the package include backups? Yes- under a certain amount of nodes.
5. what's the most important to you (feature wise)? Nothing in general.
6. what don't you have, but would like to have? Nothing that I can think of.
7. how much are you paying? 10.00 a month

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey!

1. who is your host?

Thank you!

1. Zuver Pty. Ltd. http://zuver.net.au/
2. 5GB disk space and 150Gb Bandwidth
3. Yep
4. I have to make the backups myself/do them manually
5. Just having working hosting and good support.
6. An automated back up system, but shared hosting can be restrictive in that sense, or it may be just my host being restrictive.
7. $24 Annually.

1. who is your host?

WebFaction (affiliate link)

100GB / 600GB

Yes. Their own internal control panel.

Daily backups kept for 10 days.

I can compile and run any software I want as long as it doesn't hog RAM.

Nothing. I run it like a VPS running my server stack compiled from source.

$9.50/mo

1. who is your host?

WebFaction (affiliate link)

100GB / 600GB

Yes. Their own internal control panel.

Daily backups kept for 10 days.

I can compile and run any software I want as long as it doesn't hog RAM.

Nothing. I run it like a VPS running my server stack compiled from source.

$9.50/mo
I have sent sales an email requesting info. Any reviews on them? How long have you been with them? Support?

Thanks,

I have sent sales an email requesting info. Any reviews on them? How long have you been with them? Support?

Thanks,

I think I'm going to be coming up on my three year anniversary with them soon. I maintain two accounts through them. One for my personal and business web sites and one for a gaming community I administrate.

Official support has always been amazing. Never had an issue go unresolved and I've never waited more than 24 hrs for a reply even on a weekend. The record time has been 15 minutes on a low priority ticket. Never once had any downtime. The only technical issue I've had is their mail server being flagged for spam and emails being delayed for a day or two. It was resolved quickly and emails weren't lost. Just delayed by a couple hours.

WF is a lot like having a VPS without the OS overhead contributing to your RAM usage. Processes running under your user account contribute to your RAM usage. You can use their shared Nginx, Apache, and MySQL instances to serve sites which will not contribute to your allocated RAM usage (512MB on the base plan). I run my server stack (Nginx/uWSGI/PHP5.4) compiled from source paired with their shared MySQL instance.

They also have a StackExchange-style Q&A community for users where you can get answers to more casual questions about configuring your apps.

Honestly I don't ever see myself using another host now that they offer dedicated servers. Their shared hosting has all the power of a VPS (minus package management) with none of the hassle. If you're familiar with compiling software there's not much that can hold you back.

Reactions: rdn
I think I'm going to be coming up on my three year anniversary with them soon. I maintain two accounts through them. One for my personal and business web sites and one for a gaming community I administrate.

Official support has always been amazing. Never had an issue go unresolved and I've never waited more than 24 hrs for a reply even on a weekend. The record time has been 15 minutes on a low priority ticket. Never once had any downtime. The only technical issue I've had is their mail server being flagged for spam and emails being delayed for a day or two. It was resolved quickly and emails weren't lost. Just delayed by a couple hours.

WF is a lot like having a VPS without the OS overhead contributing to your RAM usage. Processes running under your user account contribute to your RAM usage. You can use their shared Nginx, Apache, and MySQL instances to serve sites which will not contribute to your allocated RAM usage (512MB on the base plan). I run my server stack (Nginx/uWSGI/PHP5.4) compiled from source paired with their shared MySQL instance.

They also have a StackExchange-style Q&A community for users where you can get answers to more casual questions about configuring your apps.

Honestly I don't ever see myself using another host now that they offer dedicated servers. Their shared hosting has all the power of a VPS (minus package management) with none of the hassle. If you're familiar with compiling software there's not much that can hold you back.
They seem to be geared more towards developers- i still have interest, left message early this morning via email no response as if yet.

Last edited:
They seem to be geared more towards developers- instill have interest, left message early this morning via email no response as if yet.

Depends how you want to use it. If you use their control panel and shared server instances then it's just like any other shared host with CPanel. They have one-click installers for most popular products like Wordpress. They also have an API which allows users to make and share their own install scripts. The compiling is more for advanced users.

Depends how you want to use it. If you use their control panel and shared server instances then it's just like any other shared host with CPanel. They have one-click installers for most popular products like Wordpress. They also have an API which allows users to make and share their own install scripts. The compiling is more for advanced users.
I am sort of looking for something in between. I was told my site would really not benefit with a VPS- but maybe less cluttered servers will help with my speed issue.

Hey!

1. who is your host?

Thank you!

1. Transip.nl
2. 250GB storage, 5TB traffic
3. Yes, cPanel
4. One snapshot (I have an ftp server to store my backups off-site)
5. Reliability and decent IOPS
6. Gbit uplink.
7. 37 euro a month.

Main reason to go with them that they are a big company with decent support. I used to have a dedicated server but wanted to cut down on costs and management of the hardware. I'm quite happy with the performance that I get with them. A gbit uplink would be nice but I can do without.

Top Bottom