Question regarding XenForo.com rules

Kirby

Resource authors may not use any incentives to attract reviews to their resources. However, you may ask people to leave a review.

If I offer everyone who posts a review for one of my Add-ons to post a "Thank you for your review :)" reply on that review (if I like it), would that be allowed @Brogan?

I don't really understand what you are asking but incentives for reviews are not permitted.

My question is if offering to post a "Thank you for your review :)" reply on reviews for my Add-on would be considered an incentive or not?

I must need some more coffee or something because...
My question is if offering to post a "Thank you for your review :)" reply on reviews for my Add-on would be considered an incentive or not?
... how would replying to a review be considered any type of incentive for leaving a review? 🤔

Coffee Fry GIF

I must need some more coffee or something because...

... how would replying to a review be considered any type of incentive for leaving a review? 🤔

Coffee Fry GIF
Maybe acknowledgement?

Say for example one of your favorite celebrities offers to actually reply to your comment if you tell them how good their content is. People long for a simple "hello" from someone like that for some reason, so they'd bite at the chance to get it.

If you are pre-emptively offering something in response for a review, then it's an incentive.

I assume there's a point to this thread and you believe a resource author to be in breach of the rules?

If so, report it and it will be looked at.

I assume there's a point to this thread and you believe a resource author to be in breach of the rules?
Not necessarily (though I am pretty sure I've seen such cases every now and then)- just wanted to know if that's okay or not.

Until the recent deletion of an Add-on I thought that would be fine, but I am confused by contradicting replies from You und Chris :)

Not necessarily (though I am pretty sure I've seen such cases every now and then)- just wanted to know if that's okay or not.

Until the recent deletion of an Add-on I thought that would be fine, but I am confused by contradicting replies from You und Chris :)
How are our replies contradictory? I believe Paul and I are in agreement.

Thanking someone who gives you a review is good manners, not an incentive.

Examples of what is permitted:
  • Please leave a review.
  • I would be grateful if you post a review.
  • Moar reviews!

Examples of what isn't permitted:
  • Please leave a positive review.
  • Anyone leaving a review will receive 10 "likes".
  • Reviewing this add-on will grant you access to a super secret private forum.
  • Review or I'll kidnap your cat (I know where you live).

I hope that's clear?

If not, give me a thumbs up and I'll try and clarify.

;)

How are our replies contradictory? I believe Paul and I are in agreement.
Paul wrote:

If you are pre-emptively offering something in response for a review, then it's an incentive.
To me this sounds that offering to post a reply (1) "Thank you for your review :)" to everyone who posts a review for my Addon would be soncsdered an incentive (as it is done pre-emptively).

You wrote
Surely that's just good manners, rather than an incentive?
To me this sounds like it would be okay.

Not sure, but I find those two statements contradictory, lol.

Sorry, I really did't want start a big discussion - I just wanted to know if that (1) would be okay or not ...

I hope that's clear?
Not really unfortunately. But I tink I'll stop here and just not bother with reviews as we get nowhere :)

Thanks for your time anyway.

Maybe acknowledgement?

Say for example one of your favorite celebrities offers to actually reply to your comment if you tell them how good their content is. People long for a simple "hello" from someone like that for some reason, so they'd bite at the chance to get it.
Yikes!

Shocked Oh No GIF by Marvel Studios

Do you really need to offer to do this? On the site where I post my stories, I am quite diligent about acknowledging and responding to comments on them but I don't promise a reply. If you make it a habit, people will know to expect it without it becoming an "incentive".

Paul wrote:

To me this sounds that offering to post a reply (1) "Thank you for your review :)" to everyone who posts a review for my Addon would be soncsdered an incentive (as it is done pre-emptively).

You wrote

To me this sounds like it would be okay.

Not sure, but I find those two statements contradictory, lol.

Sorry, I really did't want start a big discussion - I just wanted to know if that (1) would be okay or not ...

Not really unfortunately. But I tink I'll stop here and just not bother with reviews as we get nowhere :)

Thanks for your time anyway.
In recent cases, the services were incentivizing reviews by offering something that has monetary value (to an extent).

Thanking or asking for reviews is not against the rules but encouraging reviews by offering something in return (free months, bonus API calls) is not.

I don't honestly know how useful reviews on XenForo are, as currently barely anyone reviews, reviews are very general, pander to a community favorite (regardless of quality), or for negative ones are never updated if the issue is resolved.

Top Bottom