1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question regarding signature links, spammers

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by cmeinck, Sep 28, 2010.

1. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

I have a big issue with sig spammers as of late. Ideally, I'd like an easy way to set number of posts before allowing signatures. In vB, you have to set up promotions, which seems conviluted to me.

I'd love to hear what tools are in place to limit signatures based on membership/posting.

soloarquitectura and brendanc like this.
  2. brendanc

brendanc Active Member

Echoing this request. All the spammers that register to my boards are sig/profile spammers. They register, they edit the profile/sig, and they never come back. It's annoying to have to keep deleting the rabble.
    soloarquitectura and OperaManiac like this.
  3. projectego

projectego Active Member

This is the first feature request that I'm actually 110% hoping will make it into XenForo 1.0. Personally, for my vBulletin installation, I've editing my template so that guests are unable to see signatures at all; the same goes for certain profile fields (website URL and a few others). If XenForo were to include an option to specify a minimum number of posts before a user's signature became active, then I would be a very happy bunny indeed.
  4. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

Convoluted how? I find that promotion system to be straightforward and very useful. I'd give up a lot of other "features" before giving that up.
  5. soloarquitectura

soloarquitectura Active Member

Very interesting.
    This should move to the Suggestions forum ;)
  6. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Even putting them in a specific user group other than registered members doesn't help, as mine just puts them where it wants to not where *I* want it to.
  7. yoghurtfarmer

yoghurtfarmer Well-Known Member

In SMF this is easily done with post count based usergroup permissions, so I hope it's the same in XF.
  8. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Having used SMF as well, I agree.
  9. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

You have to create different groups, which for me seems convoluted. I'd rather have "rules" in place for my one primary "Registered Users" group. One being, Can post signature after ____ posts.
  10. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

There is an Admin option to not show signatures in posts to guests.
    ArnyVee and soloarquitectura like this.
  11. projectego

projectego Active Member

That's good to hear, Lawrence! At least that's one less template edit that'll be required for me. Ha.
  12. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Well-Known Member

Where is this option? Couldn't find it. :(
  13. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Options -> Search Engine Optimisation (SEO): Show Signatures to Guests
    ArnyVee likes this.
  14. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Well-Known Member

Ahhh....under SEO...I was looking everywhere but there. LOL...thanks Paul! :D
  15. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's also under Messages :)