Question about importing vB data

dutchbb

I'd like to setup my XF powered site so that it's completely ready in terms of design and settings/permissions before vB data is imported. So that after importing the old forum data, I have very little work to do on it. Is this possible? I mean isn't importing vB data going to override settings or even reset changes to templates & css?

I assume it's just importing forums, threads, posts... and doing nothing else, but I'm asking to be sure.

Another thing I'd like to know is how usergroups are handled, are they all imported with their members, and to what degree are the vB forum/usergroup permissions retained?

Is there maybe other information available on post-handling a forum after importing vB data in XF?

The importer only imports forum and user related data, not template code or css.

All groups and user states are imported.
Anything other than groups 1 to 7 are imported as a custom group.

These are the steps:
Import User Groups
Import Users
Import Custom Avatars
Import Private Messages
Import Visitor Messages
Import Forums
Import Moderators
Import Threads and Posts
Import Polls
Import Attachments

The manual may answer some questions: http://xenforo.com/help/importing/

There's also a recent thread here which is relevant: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...etin-3-8-to-xenforo-what-to-do-exactly.13486/

Thanks that answers most of my questions. Let's see if I can find anything about permissions in those pages.

The permissions are imported along with the forums and usergroups. For example, if your vB forum has a private forum which only admins can access then that access will be preserved during the import.

I just did a test-import for the users, it imported 75.418 users while we have a total of 88.022 in vB. Now I did find out it doesn't import 'users awaiting confirmation' but even if I count for those it still doesn't add up, what other users does the import ignore?

I just did a test-import for the users, it imported 75.418 users while we have a total of 88.022 in vB. Now I did find out it doesn't import 'users awaiting confirmation' but even if I count for those it still doesn't add up, what other users does the import ignore?

All users are imported regardless of their status.

If you are looking at the member count statistic on the main forum page then it is important to note that vB counts banned members, xenForo does not. So the counts will be different.

All users are imported regardless of their status.

If you are looking at the member count statistic on the main forum page then it is important to note that vB counts banned members, xenForo does not. So the counts will be different.
Thanks for clearing that up Jake, I see that it imported all members now. Indeed it doesn't count both banned and unconfirmed members in the total on the main page. Is there a way to make it count every registration?

Top Bottom