1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about 40$ for year extra

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by A20, Sep 27, 2013.

1. A20

A20 New Member

Hello, I want to buy xenforo but I have a question. Let's say I buy the 140$ package, after the year is up can I buy the 40$ thing to get another year of updates? I guess what I'm trying to ask is how much per year would it cost to be updated? It should be 40$ a year after the first 140$ right?

Buy xenforo - 140$
    year 1 pay 40$ - to keep updating
    year 2 pay 40$ - to keep updating
    year 3 pay 40$ - to keep updating
    year 4 pay 40$ - to keep updating

It confuses me.
  2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

You're not forced to pay for the updates right away. So if your license expires 10/1/2014, you wouldn't have to pay for the $40 renewal right away if you don't want too. Say there's not an update you would need until 11/01/2014, you could renew your license then and still pay $40, which would extend it until 11/01/2015.
  3. A20

A20 New Member

yes I understand that but let's say after 11/01/2015 would I need to pay 140$ again or 40$ to continue getting updates?
  4. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

After the initial license purchase, you only pay your renewal total. You'll never be asked to purchase your license a second time.
  5. A20

A20 New Member

Ah I see now. Thanks!

Edit: bought it now :D
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Rudy, HenrikHansen and TsuChi like this.
  6. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Welcome to XenForo :)
  7. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

Never say never. Maybe never with v1.x.
    I think it will be up to XF to determine pricing for 2.x if and when the day comes. Just my opinion.
  8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget to associate your forum user name with your license, so you have access to all forums and resources.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  9. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

10. A20

A20 New Member

Haha I forgot about doing that. I did it now. Thanks for reminding me :)
    Adam Howard likes this.
  11. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

This pricing structure encourages XenForo to continue to support the current version of the software. When XenForo releases a major new version like 1.3, all those folks who have let their licenses run out will renew, generating a nice direct incentive to continued development.

The alternative (lifetime licenses) results in the software being abandoned after a couple of years.
    Shelley, Liam W, whynot and 1 other person like this.
  12. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

That is very true. The current pricing system works so that XenForo get to have money each update ;)
  13. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

There is no incentive to improve it.
    The development team(if there is any) can work on the next BIG (the biggest ever) project.
  14. topcat

topcat Well-Known Member

yeah, xenforo is..

$140 for the license
    $40 per yeah of updates
    $8000 f0r mods
    steven s likes this.