1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Query to find thin threads

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by dethfire, Jan 20, 2015.

1. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

I'm looking to prune some old unreplied threads. I'm looking for help in making a sql query that finds threads with 0 replies and with less than 100 characters. thanks!!

2. dethfire

Figured it out

SELECT xf_thread.thread_id, xf_thread.title, xf_post.message
    FROM xf_thread
    INNER JOIN xf_post ON xf_thread.thread_id = xf_post.thread_id
    WHERE xf_thread.reply_count =0
    AND char_length( xf_post.message ) <100
    LIMIT 0 , 30

However, now I want to delete these threads. How do I do that correctly? I need to delete the thread records and the corresponding post records.

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

They need to be deleted from the front end or ACP.
    There are too many interconnected tables and records to do it as a query.

4. dethfire

Unfortunately I can't set the character count in batch update threads. Right now I'm removing them manually one by one, but I have over 8000 I need to remove. Maybe I need a custom addon. hmmm

Mouth likes this.
  5. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in this too.

Mouth and dethfire like this.
  6. dethfire

Could a work around be that I use a query to set these threads as "deleted" and then use the XF batch update to permanently delete soft deleted threads?

7. Valhalla

Valhalla Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could set the thread prefix on the threads you have found, and then use the Batch Update Threads tool on those threads.

8. dethfire

Would that be easier/better than unapproving them? Again I find about 8000 threads via a custom sql query.

9. Valhalla

Valhalla Well-Known Member

Your ultimate goal is to be able to use the Batch Update Threads tool to do either of those things because, as explained above, this would be better than manipulating records in the DB.

My suggestion was to set the "prefix_id" for the thread records you have found.

10. dethfire

Right but I'm just asking why is setting the prefix preferred over setting it to deleted if both equally act as a flag for when I use the batch update?

11. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

One drawback setting them to unapproved is the system isn't really designed around having thousands of moderated threads.

So in that respect, the prefix is a better approach.

12. dethfire

Not moderated but "deleted" :)

13. dethfire

Does this look right?

UPDATE xf_thread
    SET xf_thread.discussion_state = 'deleted'
    FROM xf_thread
    INNER JOIN xf_post ON xf_thread.thread_id = xf_post.thread_id
    WHERE xf_thread.reply_count =0
    AND char_length( xf_post.message ) < 20

14. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

While that would probably work, there is at least one other table that is involved with deleted threads where as there isn't with prefixes. It likely wouldn't make a difference, but setting a prefix (provide you set it to a valid one for that forum) is slightly "safer".

dethfire likes this.
  15. dethfire

If I go ahead and delete them permanently via batch update then everything should be cleaned up?

16. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes, that should be ok.

I'll just point out that we don't officially recommend editing the DB directly though. :)

dethfire likes this.