Resource icon

"Quckreply" for guests

MagnusB

MagnusB submitted a new resource:

"Quckreply" for guests (version 0.5) - Show a non functional text field below messages for guests

To begin with: Use this at own risk. I have tested this fairly extensively, and it seems to work fairly well on the default style. Also, this does not show the full quick reply editor for guests, nor does it show anything functional (except the login form). It just shows a text edit field, with a few "buttons" below, which are just links to the login and register pages.

If you are not comfortable with CSS, you should not install this, if you use anything but the default style it will require...

Read more about this resource...

No worries, I had some fun making it, and I was in such a point that I realized that I either had to publish this guide, or just have this get lost when I reset my dev site some time in the future...

I still want to do some minor changes, like cleaning up the css a bit, if possible, do some changes on the login form, cause it doesn't look right to me, but other than that, this is as far as I can take the "quickreply", I am afraid...

This seems WONDERFUL! So thanks so very much for sharing.
Question- Can you share the link to your site where we can see this in action please?

J.

Sorry, I only have it in action on my dev site, which is password protected. I still want to tweak it a bit more on the default style before I start "porting" it to my own style. If anyone else has it running on their site, I would be more than happy to link it.

It seems I have worked my self blind on this. I discovered one error in my CSS, though fixing it breaks the entire thing. So instead, I reworked some of it, IMO looks better. There are still things I wish I could do better, I hate having to use many small css rules.

Anyway, I spruced it up a bit:
editor.webp

What I did was simple:
- Made the guest message float left and the form float right
- Included a call to action button in the guest message
- Reduced the width of the input fields, as well as defining the width of the guest message
- Move the forgot password link below the login field, and changed the color a bit.
- Increased opacity from .7 -> .9, due to the sign up button

I haven't been able to test it on smaller resolutions yet, but it works decently in 1280x800 and above, I am not sure how 1024x768 would impact stuff.

MagnusB updated "Quickreply" for guests with a new update entry:

Fixed incorrect CSS

As I reviewed this for install on my live site, I noticed several CSS rules that were either wrong, or not necessary. I cleaned up those a bit, as well as include the sign up button.

Please note; My predictions about fixed width sites might have been a bit off, so if you use a fixed width style, be prepared to do allot of CSS edits to make it work.

Read the rest of this update entry...

So odd question.....

Where is
mosaic.1.0.1.min.js

Because that's not part of XenForo, so it would be cool if you had attached it or told us were to get it or posted the source for it.

I just did some minor changes on the resource today, nothing you will have to worry about if you have already set this up. No code changes, just cleaned up some of the instructions, and updated the screenshots. I also added a license, and even though it is an attribution license, I do not require you to have any sort of backlinks or attribution if you are using it as is or are remixing it for your own website. It is when you are remixing combined with redistributing attributions would be nice, for example a mention in your description or whatever.

MagnusB updated "Quickreply" for guests with a new update entry:

Fixed conflict with Notifications addon

Seems like if the mosaic plugin is loaded and not used, it causes a conflict with the gritter plugin in the notifications addon. I changed it so the javascript file is only loaded on pages it is needed, and that seems to remove all conflicts (please don't ask me why, I am not sure).

The only change is the edits in page_container_js_head, change
HTML:
<xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id}">
to
HTML:
<xen:if is="!{$visitor.user_id} AND {$contentTemplate} == 'thread_view'">

This...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Just a small detail; there wasn't a conflict between gritter and mosaic, for some reason the gritter js file was not loaded on all pages, and for some reason my change in the update above "solved" it. I still don't understand why it behaved that way, and if it just happened on my site.

Hiya all. I'm just now getting around to this and it looks really really good. One minor oops in the instructions though:

Code:
 <xen:if is="!{$canQuickReply}">
<xen:include template="qr_guest" />
</xen:if>

Should be

Code:
<xen:if is="!{$canQuickReply}">
<xen:include template="qr_login" />
</xen:if>

unless the newly created template is called "qr_guest"
I'll post back after I have customized the css. But it looks really good!

Haha, nice spot, I am not sure why I mixed the names. I will fix that ASAP.

EDIT: Fixed it, I call them qr_guest, but it really doesn't matter what you call the templates, just use a unique name. I think I mixed them up with some other template edit I have submitted.

Haha, nice spot, I am not sure why I mixed the names. I will fix that ASAP.

EDIT: Fixed it, I call them qr_guest, but it really doesn't matter what you call the templates, just use a unique name. I think I mixed them up with some other template edit I have submitted.
Yeah - I thought just as much.
And hey - just got the .css edited as best I could. It was a bit difficult on the fixed width style, but after playing with it for a while - I think it looks good anyway ==> http://jpicforum.info/threads/xen-bbcode-test.8026/ if you want to list as an example site. Check it out = see what you think.

Thanks again for the share! Really nice stuff. Cheers!
cheersc.gif

J.

She did better than me on a fixed width style. I just gave up the guest message alltogether, and just used the signup button...

Top Bottom