XF 2.2 PWA apps info

Ricsca

But does the pwa app which is actually not an app work only with ios or also with android and windows?

PWA works with ANY client that honors it. Android... yep, IOS yep (if a current 16.x version)... Windows... yep (although PWA for a desktop is actually pretty useless). Amazing what a short amount of research time can reveal to one. This is (amazingly) an issue with many in society today... they don't want to research a question.. they simply want to post one and get a quick response.

@Ivancas i replied to @Tracy Perry who complained about my tread by telling him that no one is obligated to answer users' questions.
But I see that you also like to write bad and useless answers just to treat users badly.
I wonder how empty and sad your life must be to come and bully in a forum.
Bye

PWA works with ANY client that honors it. Android... yep, IOS yep (if a current 16.x version)... Windows... yep (although PWA for a desktop is actually pretty useless). Amazing what a short amount of research time can reveal to one. This is (amazingly) an issue with many in society today... they don't want to research a question.. they simply want to post one and get a quick response.
...and we wonder why the community is getting quieter every day.

...and we wonder why the community is getting quieter every day.
Simple fact is... about 45 seconds of research (not necessarily on this forum as it's a generic question) answers the question of whether PWA works with Android. It probably took as long to type out that question as it would to search and get a more fully encompassing answer.
But, it seems that society has an issue... people have gotten to where they don't want to research, they rather have that information given to them. And ironically, by actually researching the question, typically one ends up with more knowledge than getting a simple "Yes, it does" answer (which he was given, BTW).

Last edited:
Simple fact is... about 45 seconds of research (not necessarily on this forum as it's a generic question) answers the question of whether PWA works with Android. It probably took as long to type out that question as it would to search and get a more fully encompassing answer.
But, it seems that society has an issue... people have gotten to where they don't want to research, they rather have that information given to them. And ironically, by actually researching the question, typically one ends up with more knowledge than getting a simple "Yes, it does" answer (which he was given, BTW).
Unfortunately, this happens everywhere. I help admin a computer help forum and some of these users just don't want to use the search feature of their browser. Then they wonder why no one replies instantly. I finally replied to a question like more than a few hours after being posted when that member could have gotten their answer in about 15 seconds. And it was a pretty easy question.

Yeah, it activity for the forum but people nowadays are freaking lazy.

Simple fact is, if you’re going to answer the way you did in your first post, don’t bother at all.

This should be a welcoming and tolerant community. Not… whatever the hell that was.

The forums are for discussions, questions... The activity is great for the forum. PWA is new to some, so I see no reason for such a response to a question.

As an administrator and moderator, I also understand that the search function is not used very often by some people. However, I would politely point the member in the right direction (and mention the search engine if necessary). However, if that same member ignores this, then we have the option of moderating, warning, banning etc.

This should be a welcoming and tolerant community. Not… whatever the hell that was.
That was a pointer that one can find out answers quicker by simply typing the same question in a browser address bar usually rather than putting it in a post here. Especially something as generic as the original question was.
He got an answer, and it was pointed out that the answer was something that he could have quickly found by doing very basic research, and that this seems to be a recurring issue with society now (nobody pointed at him in particular, sorry if he may have felt so) where instead of researching something they rather take the quick/easy way out and post a question and then wait for an answer, when frequently the answer could be found in less time by researching (and frequently within minutes).
It is a recurring theme here and elsewhere lately that I have frequently observed posts are made by users that if one would take a little time researching the question themselves, the answer usually is found (and a lot of times quicker than waiting on someone to reply), and they have learned a lot more about the topic than the simple question they asked. I can point you at several classic cases here....in fact, there are several examples here where someone (including me) has made a post and then came back later and posted (because nobody else has) to disregard that they figured it out. The only way they figured it out is usually by researching it. The one thing that I tend to do when I fall prey to this is I will post the solution I found in my updated post in case it impacts others.

Same way I worked for several nights trying to figure out how to add a couple of iframe navigation options to my site. The documentation that is provided by XF on the navigation functions is very basic at best, the searches I did on the site were limited in what I found for my specific use case. But I continued searching and after about 2 days (just with searches when I had spare time) figured it out by piecing together different data I found here and there and was able to do what I needed (and it was not that difficult).... AND I learned a lot more about it than I would have if someone simply told me to "do this, then do that".

Could it have been "worded better"... perhaps. It could have been broken off into a separate post even.
Encouragement to do self-research to gain knowledge should be a desire of anyone wanting to learn. Very little is learned by giving yes/no answers, which is really all that question required.

Last edited:
You really have a lot of time to waste...
Being retired, I have time to do whatever I want/need to with. One of the benefits of over 40 years working full time. Like tonight I'll be burning some time outside (probably all night) doing some captures of M101, NGC7023 and maybe one other target if the Canadian smoke isn't to bad, while today I'll be doing yard work at my residence and at an elderly neighbors. That post took all of about 4 minutes to compile...not a lot of time.

And as I said, I was not calling you out specifically... you were given the answer you asked about. Your post was simply used to piggy back something that I have noticed occurring regularly recently not only here, but elsewhere.
It was pointed out that the question you asked could have been quickly answered by doing a simple search, something that many in our society apparently don't want to do any longer, rather having the answer given to them than invest a little time. The simple phrase (in the address bar) of pwa work with android and windows turns up a wealth of easily understandable information.
As an aside, PWA really serves no purpose on Windows desktop grade operating system... it is more designed for mobile/tablet use. The bigger "plus" for desktop is pushed notifications for the browsers, and is something that Android has done for a while, but IOS only recently got in an IOS update (think it was 16.4). Android has usually done "neat stuff" first and then sometimes within the next 3-5 years the "mighty Apple" deems its users worthy of having similar features/functions. It would have been more appropriately asked "Does Apple/IOS do PWA yet" since they typically lag behind Android. ;)
It's one reason that I generally (for the more technically competent) recommend Android phones over IOS. The only real benefit with an iPhone is its wonderful integration with their desktops/laptops. At least back in the bad old days, you could jailbreak them...now you can't even easily do that. Heck, it wasn't until recently that you were able to show a background on the lock screen that related to the weather somewhat "live".... and I was able to do that on Android years ago, as well as put custom widgets on it.

Now, your question wasn't exactly clear when I first read it, as you referred to PWA apps info in your title.... and not specifically the XF PWA app implementation, but then your text somewhat hinted at XF since it was on the support site, so you were given a more generic answer.

Not all versions of Android support PWA (think 5-10 year old ones), but in most cases, that's also due to them not supporting current browsers (which is part of PWA requirements). I have several old Motorola Droid's and RAZR's (early 2010's) that I use for testing for mobile view on WiFi (can't use most of them on cellular here in the US as they are 3G). None of them support PWA, but again, they aren't phones that can generally still be used due to their old technology so aren't a phone that will generally be found in use. From my understanding, 3G still has "life" until 2033 in some areas (think the UK is one of these), but a large portion of society (Germany, US, Singapore, Malaysia to name a few) no longer has access to it.... it was pretty much totally shelved here in the US back in the latter part of 2022, so you could, in theory, come across someone using an old phone, but that's no different than someone using Windows XP and old browsers on a desktop. There reaches a point when the equipment is simply no longer viable in the modern internet, but with the phone, it can still work to make calls and send/receive texts.
I think some areas/carriers in the EU are still using supporting 3G until some time in 2025. Africa generally is still using 2G/3G technology. And with those carriers, odds are you aren't going to find decade+ old cellular devices in use, but more modern devices using versions of Android which should support PWA.
A decent read for you if you really want more information about PWA

Last edited:
use the search before asking
Generally forum searches aren't the greatest in the world, even with ES installed... I've found it's usually better to go to a search engine, use the term(s) you are searching for and if related to a particular software package, use that package name also in the search term. It's how I eventually pieced together my navigation menu issue I was having. Searches here were somewhat disjointed.
Even ES can't compare with what search engines return. Search is one of the biggest weaknesses in almost every script offered, and I can understand end user frustrations with trying to use it, especially if the site is only using SQL search.

Last edited:
Even ES can't compare with what search engines return. Search is one of the biggest weaknesses in almost every script offered, and I can understand end user frustrations with trying to use it, especially if the site is only using SQL search.
Yeah, sadly I try everytime the core search in many platformd and many times I need to switch to external search engines. I use searx istances for privacy and work great.

Top Bottom