Putting XenForo Inside WordPress Install

Ian Eberle

I am planning on using WordPress as my front page and CMS for my XenForo forum. My goal is to make it somewhat like AquariumAdvice.com where they have the homepage with CMS content and then a /forum install. However, that particular site uses vBulletin Publishing Suite, I believe.

Is it possible for me to install WordPress on the home directory and then install XenForo in a subdirectory /forums, so it's domain.com/forums? Or do I need to use a subdomain like forums.domain.com? Which is better for SEO and indexing? Will it cause WordPress or XenForo to give 404 errors?

Thanks!

Wow, they did a really good job getting the WordPress theme to look just like the XenForo one. That's very similar to what I'm going for :)

Thanks!

To install Xenforo inside WordPress:

1. Install WordPress on the home directory like you normally would. So in my case, I would install WordPress on www.aquaticforums.net. Most web hosts have a one-click method for installing WP.
2. Make sure WP is working properly on the domain.
3. Use FTP to make a folder inside the WP install called "forums", "forum" or whatever you want to call it. This folder should be empty at this time.
4. Add your XenForo files to the folder you just created.
5. Make a new database for XF. DO NOT connect XF to the same database your WP install is on.
6. Go to the install wizard for XF. In my case, this would be located at www.aquaticforums.net/forums/install
7. Follow the directions there: insert database info, set up admin, etc.
8. Make sure WP is still working on www.aquaticforums.net and then go to where you had XF installed - www.aquaticforums.net/forums and make sure the forums are there.

That's it!

To install Xenforo inside WordPress:

1. Install WordPress on the home directory like you normally would. So in my case, I would install WordPress on www.aquaticforums.net. Most web hosts have a one-click method for installing WP.
2. Make sure WP is working properly on the domain.
3. Use FTP to make a folder inside the WP install called "forums", "forum" or whatever you want to call it. This folder should be empty at this time.
4. Add your XenForo files to the folder you just created.
5. Make a new database for XF. DO NOT connect XF to the same database your WP install is on.
6. Go to the install wizard for XF. In my case, this would be located at www.aquaticforums.net/forums/install
7. Follow the directions there: insert database info, set up admin, etc.
8. Make sure WP is still working on www.aquaticforums.net and then go to where you had XF installed - www.aquaticforums.net/forums and make sure the forums are there.

That's it!
Thank you very much for tutorial::D

Top Bottom