Lack of interest Put Admin In Separate Directory

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The way xenforo is coded (MVC) it won't make sence. There are ways like htaccess protecting it and such to fix it which will do just the same as separate directory.

Just wanted to request if we can have the admin.php in its own folder? I like to add an extra layer of protection from hackers by password protecting my admin section.

Why is the admin.php in the root of the site? Is there a reason you guys dont have it in its own folder?

example root/admin/admin.php as opposed to root/admin.php

Is there a reason you guys don't have it in its own folder?
Is there a reason to move it to it's own folder? :) You can very well apply an extra layer of authentication (.htaccess/.htpasswd) to admin.php even if it's not in a separate directory.

Edit: :-|

Is there a reason to move it to it's own folder? :) You can very well apply an extra layer of authentication (.htaccess/.htpasswd) to admin.php even if it's not in a separate directory.

Edit: :-|

im only familiar with doing that to a folder.

Please post details on how to do it with htaccess to a file.

does this look correct? Im getting an internal server error when i upload it to root.

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
RewriteRule ^(data|js|styles|install) - [NC,L]
RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [NC,L]
</IfModule>
Options +FollowSymLinks +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
<Files admin.php>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "ACP"
AuthUserFile /home/httpd/vhostingsites/.htpasswd
Require valid-user
</Files>

Adding auth doesn't make any sense to me. Two weak passwords are not better than one strong password, and two strong passwords are redundant and unnecessary.

Adding auth doesn't make any sense to me. Two weak passwords are not better than one strong password, and two strong passwords are redundant and unnecessary.

And than we haven't spoken about how easy .htaccess is hackable...
Matey, if someone wants to be in your site and cracks the xF system, he will for sure crack your .htaccess one...

Top Bottom