Protecting Forums and(or) Posts

shaneh

Hi

I have a number of posts I want to protect, if people subscribe to a mailing list they will be given access free, so I can't use the upgrades. I want to have the forums available to anonymous users, but I want the ability to have Members only forums/posts so I can post stuff only the members can see.

Basically I wwanr to knoe if it Is possible to have a forum called "Members Only" and if a non-member try's to access the forum, they get prompted to request access to that group ?

thanks
shane

You can either hide the node to guests completely, or you can use the View thread content permission, which will only allow them to read the thread titles.

thanks for quick reply

Sorry maybe this is a newbie question, but I can't find View thread content

If I change the forums node permission I cant see that permission. am i looking in the wrong place ?

Which version are you running?
That permission was only introduced in 1.1, which is currently Beta 4.

It's a user/group and node permission.

ah ok I'm only running the current release, without going off topic too much is beta 4 OK for a new board with not too many users ?

otherwise i can work around by using a page I think, letting non members know there is more content available

It depends on your style and any add-ons you have installed, as a lot of them haven't yet been updated for 1.1.

My site is running 1.1 without problems, with a few add-ons which didn't require any changes.

Otherwise you can create a link node to the hidden forum, which will at least make it visible in the forum list.

I couldn't find that either.

I am using Adnin/ Users then User Group Permissions:
select Unregistered / Unconfirmed
set to green centre column ALLOW on just these below
all others on the first grey column.
Alternatively bar access by selecting the red NEVER or see below for inheriting permissions.

View:
View node:
and
Search:
and
Can View Wiki Content:

Viewing a restricted node (forum/ Page) displays "(You must log in or sign up to post here.) " above it which I intend to make more prominent with size and Bold.

But that's global - applies to all nodes - forums, Pages and wiki pages.

1. Node Permissions fine tunes that per node/ component.

2. e.g. select the node you want to adjust then select Unregistered / Unconfirmed usergroup to restrict or allow its actions.

3A. then on the top row select green ALLOW to overcome the global setting above on viewing.

3B. There is also inheritance (grey) so a Category node or parent forum can be set to ALLOW all its contained or nested stuff like other forums or Pages.
3C. Alternatively set this inheritance to green ALLOW but set its contained/ nested components individually by going back to the Node Permissions page.

ALSO under Adnin/ Users then Permissions on the left down the menu
I found this VERY useful service -
Test Permissions
The permission tester allows you to view the forum with the permissions of the specified user. You will still be logged in as yourself, but your permissions will show you what is visible for this user.

Top Bottom