Duplicate Promotions System: Two Additions

Mr_Bob

I was just messing with the promotion system and realized that, once added to a secondary group via a promotion, the only way to remove a user from the added secondary groups is to do so manually. With that, I propose two small additions:

1: Remove User from Group(s) Option: If the criteria is met, a user can be removed from the selected secondary usergroups if they are a member.

2: Change Primary Usergroup: I know this was suggested here, but I repeat it because I believe it goes along with being able to move someone out of a group. I made one argument in that thread, but I'd like to make another just for practicality sake.

Say for example you checked "Deny" for deleting posts/threads for the general registered group. You absolutely don't want anyone on that scheme being able to delete posts/threads. You decide, "OK, if they register with an email associated with my company, I want them to be able to delete their own posts/threads after they are active for a bit." So, I make a promotion to "Company" for everyone that has an @mycompany.com email, and they are added to the secondary group (their primary is not changed). I make a promotion that will add each user to another secondary group, "promoted", members are added to when they reach 50 posts and 90 days registered that has "allow" listed for deleting own threads/posts. OK, so everyone who did not register with a company email will be placed in the group, get a larger avatar size or something, but they won't be able to delete their own content because "Deny" was checked in their base group permissions. However, the folks who registered with my company were only added to the company group as a secondary group, so the base "Registered" group Deny for deletion still applies to them, and there is no way to automatically move them out of the primary group (or any secondary for that matter).

Such is my plea, the prevent that chaos ;)

BTW, if someone on moderation feels this request is not different enough from the request I linked please feel free to merge, but I thought I had new enough ideas and additional thoughts to warrant another request thread.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Regarding point 1, are you sure they aren't removed from the user group once the promotion is no longer valid?
They did with my testing.

Regarding point 2, if there is already a suggestion for it, then the first thread takes precedence; otherwise it just results in fragmented responses across two threads.

That's strange because it didn't seem to work when I tried. I uploaded the "upgrade only" from beta 3 to 4, so let me try re-uploading the files with the full version and Ill get back on that in a few.

Are you allowing time for the various crons to run to downgrade the users?

I used the upgrade package too, the only difference is config.php and the data directories, so that won't make any difference.

I just when to tools and ran the crons manually. I'm uploading everything as I type so I should find out shortly if it's a silly file error and I just wasted your time, or if I may have found an error (maybe).

Edit: Just finished uploading everything again and tried it out. Brogan, you are 100% correct. The cron will also automatically "downgrade" users that no longer meet the criteria. I guess something just didn't get transferred properly on my end. My second suggestion still stands though, and for consistency sake I'll edit in what I said in this thread into that thread. Thanks so much Brogan!

I see it has "has No avatar", but I rather use a promotion if they do have an avatar.

It's all right it all worked out (see above) ^.

For testing though if you'd like to try on your end, I made a promotion called "Test Promotion" and set it to promote anyone in the "registered" group after they received 10 likes and posted 300 messages. Before I re-uploaded everything, the cron was giving the promotion when the conditions were met, but not taking it away when no longer met (I edited a user increasing and then decreasing likes and ran the cron manually). It works on my test installation now though.

As the first point is sorted then, if you want to add your comments to the other thread, that will help to keep it all in one place.

Top Bottom