Project Honey Pot

wedgar

Is anyone using project honey pot on their forums currently?

If so, is it effective for your forums?

How have you installed it?

Thanks!

Hands down, one of the best add-ons I have installed; and even caught bots on the second public open day of my latest forum (I'd not even added any content and the bots were already trying to take bites out of it)!! (y)

Last edited:
I use it also, have also donated a MX record for the cause. But I'm only using the default options that Xenforo 1.3 provides me to handle spam. I would like to improve logging by default in Xenforo, to see which registrations are blocked.

I use it also, have also donated a MX record for the cause. But I'm only using the default options that Xenforo 1.3 provides me to handle spam. I would like to improve logging by default in Xenforo, to see which registrations are blocked.
Must have missed that. What does donating an MX record do?

Thanks.

You guys not satisfied with the default XenForo spam prevention?
StopForumSpam/Tornevall DNSBL , Project Honey Pot, Registration Timer and Akismet ?

StopForumSpam/Tornevall DNSBL , Project Honey Pot, Registration Timer and Akismet ?

My Xenforo forum is new, not much traffic and I have about 3-5 spam registrations a day. The default wasn't working as expected for me. Could be user error though?

On my Forum I got 150 to 300 spams detected with the default XenForo Spam options
I didn't activated Project Honey Pot to avoid false alarm.

On my Forum I got 150 to 300 spams detected with the default XenForo Spam options
I didn't activated Project Honey Pot to avoid false alarm.

I did not either, I left the the settings as default. I did define a Question & Answer on the registration page.

@tenants FBHP is different because it is aimed squared at automated/bot registrations and not human spammers; for which it does a sterling job! (y)

To clarify things:

FoolBotHoneyPot (FBHP) is not the project honey pot, FBHP is a group of honey pot mechanism that stop all bots (without the need of a 3rd party API) via a xenforo plugin. These honey pots are added to your registration page, and your entire registration form is re-written and customised differently each time your page loads (although humans will not notice the difference)
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/foolbothoneypot-bot-killer-spam-combat.1085/

In contrast, the project honey pot can be used as an API, it's not one of the strongest APIs that I've come across but it is different (different is often good).
https://www.projecthoneypot.org/index.php

Much of the API data is retrieved from honey pots. Since it is different to many APIs, it works well when used hand in hand with the stronger API's (such as StopForumSpam).

The project honey pot can be used as part of the CORE settings:

upload_2014-3-19_9-42-25.webp

Sometimes you can use lots of APIs together, but since the results overlap, all this often does is increase the chance of false positives and does not give a significant improvement of spam detection

I'm not a big fan of using multiple API for this reason, but if you are going to use multiple APIs, StopForumSpam + Project Honey Pot (Http:BL) is a good combination (So, the core developers deserve a pat on the back for allowing this)

StopForumSpam + StopBotters API would be better
However, since I run the StopBotters API, I am wary of the current direction of spam automation (such as XRrumer) and do not allow the StopBotter data to get in the wrong hands, so the StopBotters API is not public (but can be used with the TAC anti-spam tools, and some other xenforo spam add-ons, such as the registration timer)

Last edited:
Top Bottom