Project Bloodfang - New PC Build Log.

And rumors have it that Broadwell is slipping in its time estimates due to some manufacturing issues with the dies.
Haven't seen that (something to research tomorrow) but to be honest I have a 3rd gen i7K which I have yet to bother overclocking as it is still performing extremely well. I normally upgrade every 4 years so have a while to go.

So when putting in the bottom radiators the first time around there were some problems with getting them into possition with the acrylic tubing.

So decided to take the time to re-work this part.

Also found out, it was very hard to drain the radiators, so took the time also to add a drain port into the bottom.

Drilling into a £700 case is not the most pleasent of things to do!!

10361326_10202309973858237_2224765657334993939_n.jpg

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

This setup allows for a few things.

It is the lowest part in the loops, so will allow for near complete drainage. The valve is used to keep the 2 loops seperate, and the large compression fitting is there as I will be connecting the second radiator by flexi-tube so I can pull it out if required without having to disconnect a while bunch of acrylic fittings.

The current "state of affairs"

DSC_0019.JPG

It's nice to see how much love & work you put into building this rig. Thumbs up!

A little too much work haha :D, I'll give you props for patience @Slavik,

When I'm building a new computer I'm eager to get it together from the day I get my first part(usually order in no more than two batches though).

Then again I don't spend what you can get a used car on a computer haha :D

So while things were all in pieces, time for a mini upgrade also because, why not.

First up, swapping the two 290x's for two Titan Blacks

DSC_0040.JPG

And why the hell not, lets upgrade from a 1200 watt Platinum rated PSU to a 1500 watt Titanium rated.

DSCN3462.JPG

First things first, lets watercool those Titans.

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

And all fitted! Snug. If my calculations are correct, the pipework for the old cards should match up perfectly.

DSC_0038.JPG

One of the main concerns with this is dust build up, I dont want to have to be opening the case up every week to clean it. So, enter new plan for stopping that!

Some polished perspex, cut to size to fit in the flex bays.

DSC_0023.JPG

Perfect

DSC_0024.JPG

The idea being, i'll run hidden air filters at the top and bottom of the flex bays, and blocking air from the front.

And rumors have it that Broadwell is slipping in its time estimates due to some manufacturing issues with the dies.

I bet it has more to do with cost than issues. No reason to shift to 14nm if it costs more and their is no real competition in the PC area. Given the price of mobile parts, 14nm is just can't be used if it costs a lot even though there is competition there.

I bet it has more to do with cost than issues. No reason to shift to 14nm if it costs more and their is no real competition in the PC area. Given the price of mobile parts, 14nm is just can't be used if it costs a lot even though there is competition there.

From what I heard its the issues causing the cost (too many wafers being rejected / failing the manufacturing process)

Intel can relax considering AMD's always touting a killer chip that falls short. Didn't want to run linting fabric or a fine seam mesh over those inlets, Slavik?

Titan Z not worth the money eh?

Not even close. For the same price I could buy another titan black and 3 way SLI them which would mop the floor with any titanZ

Intel can relax considering AMD's always touting a killer chip that falls short. Didn't want to run linting fabric or a fine seam mesh over those inlets, Slavik?

Thought about it, tried a mesh, didnt look good.

Way back on page 4 (http://xenforo.com/community/threads/project-bloodfang-new-pc-build-log.64321/page-4#post-758243), I asked @Slavik why he was using 2 graphics cards (as opposed to 1 card). Noob question to be sure and since it’s about time I upgraded my ‘rig’ I have embarked upon a journey into the nether regions of DIYPC building.

Here’s a graph I found showing the difference between one GTX 780 and two GTX 780’s on twelve games:

sli_vs_nonsli_graph_1.webp

While two cards do not quite equal twice the performance, it’s apparent that two (or multiple) cards do increase the frame rate and smoothness of games that have been designed to take advantage of the additional hardware.

And, it’s only money, right?! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom