1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Profile Posts?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Steve Freides, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Active Member

On our forum, people seem to use Profile Posts as a way of having a conversation, albeit a public one, with an individual - is this the intention of Profile Posts? I always thought of them as a place where I could, e.g., announce I'd be offline for a couple of days or things of that nature.

Thanks in advance.

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

They can be used for both.
    Steve Freides likes this.
  3. Steve Freides

@Amaury, no disrespect intended but I have seen that they can be used for both. I am curious to know how other boards are using them, and if XF's designers have an opinion on the subject as well.

4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

They are pretty much the intended uses.

It's for communicating and discussing a person's thoughts in a more informal way in which a thread wouldn't usually be appropriate.
    StarArmy and Steve Freides like this.
  5. Steve Freides

OK, thanks.

6. CFMack

CFMack New Member

How do you write a profile post to someone else, with an arrow between my name and the other member? I just saw this on some other forums.
  7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

8. CFMack

CFMack New Member

On my forum, I use the @ tag, but these arrows don't show up. I like the arrows better.
  9. Optic

Optic Well-Known Member

You just write a profile post on another member's profile page to make this happen. :)
  10. CFMack

CFMack New Member

Thank you! I've been writing them on the sidebar block. I can't believe it's that simple! Thanks!