XF 1.5 Profile post comment improvements

Compared to profile posts themselves, profile post comments have been missing tools for user interaction and moderator management. XenForo 1.5 sorts this by adding an array of new, but familiar, functionality to profile post comments.

This screenshot should give you a good idea of some of the changes :)

upload_2015-6-11_14-53-24.webp

Ability to like profile post comments
This is actually specifically one of the most popular suggestions and is pretty self explanatory. Profile post comments now support the like system.

Of course if someone likes your comment, you get an alert just as you would expect:

upload_2015-6-11_14-53-32.webp

And we have also added support for comments appearing in the News Feed / Recent Activity:

upload_2015-6-11_14-53-40.webp

Soft deleting profile post comments
Until now the only way to remove profile post comments is to permanently delete it. In XenForo 1.5 we are bringing the ability to soft delete comments in the same way you can soft delete profile posts and other content:

upload_2015-6-11_14-53-52.webp

upload_2015-6-11_14-56-49.webp

Ability to search profile post comments
Profile post comments are now indexed and are searchable from the global "Everything" search or from the Search Profile Posts tab on the search page:

upload_2015-6-11_14-56-57.webp

If you decide to search for profile post comments, you will see these alongside the results for profile posts.

upload_2015-6-11_14-57-8.webp

After XenForo 1.5 is installed, we will begin to index any new profile post comments. Remember to rebuild the search index to have your existing comments indexed too.

Other improvements
As I'm sure you would expect, we have now also implemented the remaining content-based controls that you see on most other content types:

upload_2015-6-11_14-57-21.webp

Here's a summary:
  • Comments can now be reported
  • They can be undeleted (if soft deleted)
  • They can be approved/unapproved
  • Profile post comments have always been subject to spam checks, but now they have support for the moderation queue rather than blocked completely.
  • Moderator actions on profile post comments are now logged in the Moderator Log
  • Warnings can be issued on comments
  • And you can trigger the spam cleaner from a comment and the comments can be soft deleted (and restored) via the spam clean process.
That concludes what we have to show you in terms of improvements for profile post comments. We are excited to show you even more stuff next week! :)

Incidentally probably worth noting that all of this is controlled by the existing profile post permissions.

While it doesn't apply to this new feature, would it be possible, at release time, to let us know which of the new features does have new permissions? That only helps us plug any holes with unwanted behavior (access to features we'd rather not have members use, or abuse).

I guess they would have stated in the HYS that new permissions were associated to the new feature (in case there were new permissions).

Typically the release announcements link to the HYS posts and the HYS posts will usually specify if relevant new options or permissions have been added.

I guess they would have stated in the HYS that new permissions were associated to the new feature (in case there were new permissions).

True, but when doing an upgrade, the last thing I have time for is to scan across several HYS threads digging through them for details. This should be in the release notes, just as a heads-up so we are not given any unexpected surprises. And at my age, memory is the second thing to go...and I don't remember what the first one is. :D

Typically the release announcements link to the HYS posts and the HYS posts will usually specify if relevant new options or permissions have been added.

This might be why some have requested a changelog with the releases. What's nice about your first post is that you have an itemized list of the changes--even updating that first post would help us during upgrades. It can get frantic when having to deal with a dozen important add-ons and working through template changes, on top of making sure we don't find something members can wreak havoc with. ;)

Keep in mind this isn't a huge deal, but it does help when you have a handful of forums to upgrade, each with a different configuration...

Last edited:
Only one of the biggest complaints fixed. I personally didn't mind, but I know there have been lots of situations here where we'd have liked to have liked a profile comment response. Very nice!

My users were just recently asking me about this. They really use the profile post and comment system heavily, so it's going to be a very popular addition.

Thanks and keep up the great work, XF team!

At least we now know that liking comments will be part of XenForo 2.0 ! But to be able to play with it before that, it's really great !

Nice to see Likes coming to profile posts too. But still there is no moderation for the Likes even in forums.
No way to mass remove Likes from a specific person. So still anyone can abuse Like system/trophy system which lead to abusing whole user ranking system of the site.
We really need Like moderation tools.

You can mass remove likes from a specific person in the Admin CP.

That was added in 1.4 IIRC.
Sorry i miss posted it. I mean we can not search and delete likes of a specific person in mass. (Selectively)
As we can search posts and delete them selecting one by one in mass, we need to do the same with Likes. Only remove abusing likes.

Sorry i miss posted it. I mean we can not search and delete likes of a specific person in mass. (Selectively)
As we can search posts and delete them selecting one by one in mass, we need to do the same with Likes. Only remove abusing likes.
I'd like the option to completely disable & hide profile post function
Suggestions should be made in the Suggestions forum. These threads are specifically for talking about the new features being introduced.

Top Bottom