Implemented Profile Post Character Limit

Daniel Hood

This may be a duplicate but it's rather odd that I can post as many characters as I want on someone elses profile but I'm limited to 140 on my own. I propose making it the same for both. Either not limited on my own, or limited to 140 throughout (I'd actually like to see this number increased if that's the route taken but that's another issue).

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Technically, these are two different things.

Don't forget, a profile post made on your own profile is your "Status". It's limited to 140 characters because as well as being visible on your profile, it is also on your member card.

A profile post you make on someone else's profile is not a status update, therefore it doesn't need to have the same constraints.

I guess I think it's worth posing a question, just for clarity's sake: Why was the decision made to have a distinction between a "profile post" and a "status update?" What advantage is there to split the two - why not just have profile posts at 420 characters, or status updates at 140, and just have one?

I'm not really taking sides on this, I'm just curious as to the rationale behind the system as it stands now.

The profile post limit of 140 characters would make more sense if it was tied into Twitter ie you could choose to tweet your status. As it is, you can't unless you buy Chris D's add-on.

The profile post limit of 140 characters would make more sense if it was tied into Twitter ie you could choose to tweet your status. As it is, you can't unless you buy Chris D's add-on.
I believe that was one of the reasons behind the 140 limit, actually - I believe @Mike once said that he wanted to add a Social Connect-type thing to core, although this was a couple of years ago now.

Edit: I lie; it was @Kier:
We're keeping it at 140 chars so it can be automatically sent to Twitter when we get around to coding that particular implementation.

Last edited:
Limits should be set by the admin instead of hard coded in. Some of us are not a fan of Twitter like limits.

Like my explanation here, I would need higher limits:
Without having a blog feature in XF, my members would have to use their profile walls to post information and updates for only their friends (no, those they have to follow) to see. Videos and pictures are a part of that information.

I see also that most have to do with twitter anything or write it directly on twitter!
You can set it in the admin and what goes beyond 140, is just not on twitter!
Or also adjustable in the ACP!

Top Bottom