1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Profile Post Character Limit

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Daniel Hood, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

This may be a duplicate but it's rather odd that I can post as many characters as I want on someone elses profile but I'm limited to 140 on my own. I propose making it the same for both. Either not limited on my own, or limited to 140 throughout (I'd actually like to see this number increased if that's the route taken but that's another issue).
  2. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Hmm never noticed that.. Seems kind of backwards.
    Daniel Hood likes this.
  3. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Technically, these are two different things.

Don't forget, a profile post made on your own profile is your "Status". It's limited to 140 characters because as well as being visible on your profile, it is also on your member card.

A profile post you make on someone else's profile is not a status update, therefore it doesn't need to have the same constraints.
    FredC, imthebest and Shelley like this.
  4. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

That's a good point, I didn't think about that. Maybe there should be a toggle switch when writing on your own profile, allowing you to decide if it's just a post or if it's also a status update.
    Syndol, imthebest and Chris D like this.
  5. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

I guess I think it's worth posing a question, just for clarity's sake: Why was the decision made to have a distinction between a "profile post" and a "status update?" What advantage is there to split the two - why not just have profile posts at 420 characters, or status updates at 140, and just have one?

I'm not really taking sides on this, I'm just curious as to the rationale behind the system as it stands now.
  6. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

The profile post limit of 140 characters would make more sense if it was tied into Twitter ie you could choose to tweet your status. As it is, you can't unless you buy Chris D's add-on.
  7. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

I believe that was one of the reasons behind the 140 limit, actually - I believe @Mike once said that he wanted to add a Social Connect-type thing to core, although this was a couple of years ago now.

Edit: I lie; it was @Kier:
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    Shelley likes this.
  8. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I have an open suggestion regarding removing the limit here. This might be a duplicate, technically, but I'm not sure.

In response to @Chris D's comment on the member card, if anyone is interested, I also have this suggestion open.
  9. sayden

sayden Member

Yes the limit must to 1000! and Comments 750! or Options in the ACP.
    CallieJo likes this.
  10. CallieJo

CallieJo Active Member

Limits should be set by the admin instead of hard coded in. Some of us are not a fan of Twitter like limits.

Like my explanation here, I would need higher limits:
    Pinn likes this.
  11. Pinn

Pinn Active Member

I see also that most have to do with twitter anything or write it directly on twitter!
    You can set it in the admin and what goes beyond 140, is just not on twitter!
    Or also adjustable in the ACP!
    CallieJo likes this.
  12. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

Glockie and Pinn like this.