XF 1.5 Problems installing addons

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 500 error is generic - there may be more details in the server error log.

Contact your host if you are unsure how to check that, or if you are on shared hosting.

It depends on the add-on and how it has been packaged and whether there are any specific requirements.

In general, it's simply a case of uploading the contents of the 'upload' folder to where XF is installed - exactly the same process as installing or upgrading XF.

The files and folders will be merged with any directories which have the same names.

I'm not sure what 'stinks' about the instructions here: https://xenforo.com/help/installation/

Or here: https://xenforo.com/help/add-ons/

For example.....

I extracted the upload folder and have Three folders inside.
js
library
data

Do I go into those folders and pull out the files and place the files into my already existing folers on my server with the same name??

Just drag and drop the three folders (js, library, data) to where XF is installed.

They will merge automatically with the existing folders.

Just drag and drop the three folders (js, library, data) to where XF is installed.

They will merge automatically with the existing folders.

How would I be able to change permission to 777 if the files get merged with existing files??

I mean..even you are starting me off wrong.

First I upload the "upload" folder so I can go inside and change permissions?

Then, after permissions are set....I pull out the three folders into root (go up One directory and they just merge like magic??)

There have been a handful of posts of this nature out of thousands/tens of thousands so I don't think the instructions are the problem really.

I cannot just do as you say. I do not think it would work.

Don't I first need to change permission of the folders?

So, in fact I would actually upload the entire "upload" folder first to be able to change permissions?

Then, pull out those Three folders and somehow they auto-merge with the existing folders with same name?

Sorry, but I never experience this behavior with my windows powered PCs. Usually the files get overwritten

There have been a handful of posts of this nature out of thousands/tens of thousands so I don't think the instructions are the problem really.

There leaves a lot to the imagination as to how this is suppose to work Brogan.

I am not fully understanding and require assistance.

Do you understand my questions or should I ask them more clearly for you?

I have the upload folder on my server in the root.

I went into that upload folder and changed permissions for all Three folder to 777 (js, library, data)

Now....I think I am to pull out those Three folder from the upload folder and place into the root?

My filzilla asks me if I want to overwrite the existing folders, because there are already Three folders with those names.

So, now do I go into the "data" folder and copy/paste those new files into my existing data folder??

Even though the same files seems to already be in there? Overwrite? Correct?

Understand that?

Frankly I don't think Brogan is having any difficulty in understanding. I don't think his understanding of anything is the issue here.

If you bear with me and cease with the antagonistic comments you might be more likely to receive some assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom