1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Problem with creating new node and posting in it.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by ALMUSA, Nov 30, 2014.

1. ALMUSA

ALMUSA Member

Ok, Im trying to create a forum under specific category and then post new thread in it but I couldn't. I click on post a new thread and then when I start typing the title, that little loading thing at the right top corner in the page won't stop loading. I click on create thread button but it does nothing however when I create a new forum under another category other than the one I'm talking about here, things seem fine and no problem whatsoever. Also Something strange happening in the ACP, it gets missed up for unknown reason. I disabled all the add one and still that won't solve the issue. Here is screenshot concerning this matter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

These are almost certainly from mod_security triggering erroneously. It's likely based on something in the title -- if I had to guess, "GCC" as that's the name of a Linux compiler. Your host should be able to identify the rule that is triggering for your site and whitelist it for you. (You wouldn't be able to do this.)

3. ALMUSA

ALMUSA Member

Thanks Mike, I guess that was the issue. I edited that acronym by putting dot in between and worked fine.

Thanks again.

4. ALMUSA

ALMUSA Member

Oh btw I have a quick question if you don't mind. How do I move nodes up and down. I by mistake deleted one of the node and now I want to put back to its place where it was but couldn't figure that out!

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Change the display order.

6. ALMUSA

ALMUSA Member

I did but didn't work! what is the proper value should I use where it says ''display order''?

7. Brogan

It is relative to the values set for other sibling nodes.

8. ALMUSA

ALMUSA Member

All the values are set to 1. I have tried different numbers but didn't work either. Now when I create a forum it goes to the bottom of the page! :confused:

9. ALMUSA

ALMUSA Member

Its actually a root node, it has no parent.

10. Brogan

The values must be different.

Lower to higher = top to bottom.

ALMUSA likes this.
  11. Phases

Phases Active Member

If they all have the same display order they (probably) list in order of creation. So, set the display order for what you want. So if you have nodes:

Fish
    Turtles
    Cake
    Bob

and you want them in order: turtles, fish, cake, bob, you could try these display orders:

Turtles: 100
    Fish: 200
    cake: 300
    bob: 400

I would give 2 or 3 digit numbers to give room for growth and easy reordering after said growth. Depending on your site of course.

ALMUSA likes this.
  12. ALMUSA

ALMUSA Member

Yeah that solved the problem.

Thanks guys.

13. ALMUSA

ALMUSA Member

Hi again,

I checked once again and that issue still has not been solved yet. I emailed the host and after they investigated the error I received this email form them.

Can you elaborate on what they meant by reverting the site/db to a previous date and what will happen if I ask them to do so.

It seems like I have to deleted the node that contains ''GCC'' as a whole and recreate it once again with different title.

Thank you Mike

14. Brogan

They mean to revert to an older version of the database, which would mean any content created since that date would be lost.
    I wouldn't recommend that.

This still appears to be mod_security related to you may want to consider changing hosts if they are unable to resolve it.

ALMUSA likes this.
  15. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The actual error is likely being hidden due to how your host has configured the ErrorDocument value and XenForo's rewrites. If you still have a setup that reproduces it and you'd like us to look into it, please submit a ticket with access to reproduce it and FTP details. I should be able to get a more specific error code to take to your host.

I'm 99% sure that it is some sort of security/request filtering that they're doing.

ALMUSA likes this.
  16. ALMUSA

ALMUSA Member

@Mike @Brogan

Accept my apology for bothering you with this. The issue has been solved by the host. I just got this email from them.

Thank you guys for your help. I do really appreciate it.