XF 1.5 Problem installing Xenforo

_inu

Hello dear XF community,

I have installed, restored and handled my two Xenforo licenses countless of times. Now that I am looking to bring up a new forum on one of my licenses, the installation simply refuses to work and I am stuck on troubleshooting any further.

Once the index.php file of the install directory is accessed, it displays everything as usual, but upon clicking the button the URL does change to step1, yet I am still stuck on the first page.

I have already tried to narrow this issue down, have tried disabling pagespeed, memcached, the opcache, whiped the entire cache and also tried different browsers(Chrome, Edge, Waterfox, Safari), whereas Safari and Edge had never even visited any site of mine, so they could not have possibly locally cached the files.

This issue persists on all versions of Xenforo and started a few weeks ago when I shut down my old site and realized the login to the admin sector was looping(redirecting to the login page again), which I did not pay attention to since it was going down anyway.

All help would be appreciated!

The basic structure of my server:
Nginx
Nginx-Pagespeed
PHP 5.6 with Zend Opcache and Memcached(this also happened on 5.4. I literally updated to 5.6 at this point to see if it would fix it and because I have been meaning to do it for a while.)
Mariadb with all tables on InnoDB(duh)

PS: I am sorry if I may respond slowly. I am a busy man just trying to figure out why I get stuck on installing XF after it has worked so many times with no changes to my setup except for the domain.

What is the actual problem?

Is there an error message?
Does the page just hang?
The script keeps redirecting me to the basic install page without any sort of error message and there is also no record of this in my error logs.

That would be after you fill in the database details? Any error being displayed?
No, I do not even get to the first form. I am literally stuck on "Begin Installation"

It seems that the installer is stuck in some sort of loop. Your server requirements seem fine to me. Nothing in there that would indicate why this issue is happening. Is this a completely fresh installation?

It seems that the installer is stuck in some sort of loop. Your server requirements seem fine to me. Nothing in there that would indicate why this issue is happening. Is this a completely fresh installation?
Yes sir. New domain, new site config(that is identical to the old working one though except for the domain name of course) and a freshly downloaded Xenforo.

Can you ask your host to do a check up and make sure that everything is fine? Maybe there is something in there somewhere that it is causing this issue.

Can you ask your host to do a check up and make sure that everything is fine? Maybe there is something in there somewhere that it is causing this issue.
I am essentially my own host as a friend of mine owns the rack in the US but I did set this up from a barebones root. He did look into it and he is a sysadmin with major experience(especially compared to my petty 5 years of experience). He claims the issue only persists in Xenforo and can not figure it out. I can somewhat confirm this as other PHP-based installations such as Sourcebans were working just fine.

I am essentially my own host as a friend of mine owns the rack in the US but I did set this up from a barebones root. He did look into it and he is a sysadmin with major experience(especially compared to my petty 5 years of experience). He claims the issue only persists in Xenforo and can not figure it out. I can somewhat confirm this as other PHP-based installations such as Sourcebans were working just fine.

Can you try something? It is worth a shot in my opinion. Download and run the requirements test script from here.

https://xenforo.com/purchase/

That might tell you what could be causing the issue that you are experiencing.

It sounds to me like your web server isn't passing parameters or request details correctly. What does your Nginx PHP config look like?

It sounds to me like your web server isn't passing parameters or request details correctly. What does your Nginx PHP config look like?
Code:
    }

location ~ [^/]\.php(/|$) {
                fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+?\.php)(/.*)$;
                if (!-f $document_root$fastcgi_script_name) {
                        return 404;
                }
                fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock;
                fastcgi_index index.php;
                include fastcgi_params;
        }

location ~ \.php$ {
    try_files $uri =404;
    fastcgi_pass    unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock;
    fastcgi_param   SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
    include         fastcgi_params;
    fastcgi_read_timeout 300;

}

Is it possible you downloaded the upgrade set and not the full install?

The XF website defaults you to the upgrade software.
Nope. I have downloaded the full version.

Can you submit a ticket with FTP details? I'd like to create a test script to confirm my thoughts.

You do have 2 configurations for PHP there and I'm not sure which one is being matched. I think probably the first one and there are some elements there I'm not sure of.

Can you submit a ticket with FTP details? I'd like to create a test script to confirm my thoughts.

You do have 2 configurations for PHP there and I'm not sure which one is being matched. I think probably the first one and there are some elements there I'm not sure of.
If possible I would prefer if you PMed me the script and I upload it myself. I am pretty opposed to giving out any credentials, even when we are talking about a jailed dummy account.

I have managed to fix my issue thanks to the support of Mike :)

If anyone ever ends up with the same issue, the fix is literally as simple as downloading a fresh fastcgi.conf file and including it into your site config like so

Code:
    location ~ [^/]\.php(/|$) {
                fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+?\.php)(/.*)$;
                if (!-f $document_root$fastcgi_script_name) {
                        return 404;
                }
                fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock;
                fastcgi_index index.php;
                include /etc/nginx/fastcgi.conf;
        }

Essentially my PHP installation was suddenly missing required CGI variables(completely out of the blue mind you, it has worked for ages before) and including a fresh fastcgi.conf instead of the fastcgi_params has solved my issue.

Thank you Mike and merry Christmas everybody!

Top Bottom