Private Site

Private Site 1.1.0

No permission to download

Sim

Sim submitted a new resource:

Private Site - Hide unnecessary features from guests on a private site

For a private site where no forum content is visible to guests, the easy way to hide everything is to simply deny "View" permission to Unregistered / Unconfirmed users.

However, the end result is a little messy as guest visitors get presented by an unhelpful error message "You must be logged-in to do that" and a login form, and the page returns a 403 (Forbidden) error.

This simple addon provides an alternative approach with a cleaner and more elegant outcome.

The following UI changes are...

Read more about this resource...

Will this also get rid of the post thread button? (I don't want to turn off writing before registering because another add-on is using it that is public)

Post thread button is controlled by user permissions, so no - it won't remove it if users have permission to post.

Post thread button is controlled by user permissions, so no - it won't remove it if users have permission to post.
But with write before registering it shows up for unregistered users too now.

But with write before registering it shows up for unregistered users too now.

Yes - that's kind of what it is for.

"Write before registering" means "unregistered users can post a thread" - hence the post thread button.

I'm not sure what happens if unregistered users don't have permission to start a thread but can reply to an existing thread - I would hope that XenForo would hide the Post thread button?

Yes - that's kind of what it is for.

"Write before registering" means "unregistered users can post a thread" - hence the post thread button.

I'm not sure what happens if unregistered users don't have permission to start a thread but can reply to an existing thread - I would hope that XenForo would hide the Post thread button?
Nope. Writing before registering has nothing to do with the post thread permissions. It bypasses them.

This is the thought behind Writing Before Registering. When enabled, guest users will be granted access to the New Thread button and the Quick Reply editor and various other tools that are available to registered members. The experience is almost identical to that of a logged-in user, allowing the guest to create rich content before having registered, such that they can compose the message they want without obstructions.

This is as designed - write before registering gives guest users access to the New Thread button - as per the announcement post above.

This is as designed - write before registering gives guest users access to the New Thread button - as per the announcement post above.
Yes but I guess I'll have to figure out how to hide that button on my private forum. I don't want to turn the feature off because another add-on that is public uses the feature for comments.

Hi!

Is there any pro describtion or tutoral how can I open up a priveate forum and invite people or create forms that they have to fill in in order to get sorted and get access to the site? - like questions that only the choosen group can answer etc.. ?

Hi!

Is there any pro describtion or tutoral how can I open up a priveate forum and invite people or create forms that they have to fill in in order to get sorted and get access to the site? - like questions that only the choosen group can answer etc.. ?
Required custom user fields would work

Is there any tutoral or forum description how to do it?
Not like Im imbicile, but not a programmer either.

How I would imagine it is that if the user click on the private forum he gets a prompt message that he have to fill in a form correctly if he want to participate or get an invitation...

Just add user fields that are required upon registration.

Then you can also have an "advertisement" or notice that is only shown to unregistered users with instructions.

Just add user fields that are required upon registration.

Then you can also have an "advertisement" or notice that is only shown to unregistered users with instructions.
The issue with that is the forum is for two user groups. So I dont want to overcomplicate thigns for usergroup1" that arent going to participate in the private forums.

What I want is something like an alert or pop up screen that only appear for users who want to access the private category.

Yes but I guess I'll have to figure out how to hide that button on my private forum. I don't want to turn the feature off because another add-on that is public uses the feature for comments.
All moot. Finally installed your addon - it hides the post thread for guests with write before registering enabled. :)

Reactions: Sim
I'm using 2.2.8 version of the forum, followed the tutorial's instruction and got this situation:
Everything is just great for Guests as described in the tutorial.
BeforeRegistration.webp
But when they registered and got awaiting email confirmation page, they could see Navigation panel menus + Activities related to this profile.AwaitingApproval.webp
Also, if they click on "Return to the forum home page", they'll see the same as above + Forum statistics ReturnToForumsHomePage.webp

Question: Could something be adjusted from the Admin panel to get the same view as on the first image + info about awaiting confirmation for the users until they confirmed email and approved by admin? Or the changes should be done for the add-on?

I'm using 2.2.8 version of the forum, followed the tutorial's instruction and got this situation:
Everything is just great for Guests as described in the tutorial.
View attachment 263186
But when they registered and got awaiting email confirmation page, they could see Navigation panel menus + Activities related to this profile.View attachment 263185
Also, if they click on "Return to the forum home page", they'll see the same as above + Forum statistics View attachment 263187

Question: Could something be adjusted from the Admin panel to get the same view as on the first image + info about awaiting confirmation for the users until they confirmed email and approved by admin? Or the changes should be done for the add-on?

It seems you haven't done the final step: "tidy up navigation and widget display for guests" ?

You need to follow the tutorial instructions: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/how-to-make-a-xenforo-forum-private-no-guest-access.7844/

See:
  • Step 6: hide some navigation links from guests, and
  • Step 7: hide some widgets from guests
This will help you hide the navigation and forum statistics.

I've done them (steps 6-7) :(
And it is hidden for the guests. I found this post
Unconfirmed members are in the Registered group by virtue of the fact that they have actually registered.
Their permissions come from the Unregistered / unconfirmed user group until they confirm their account.
Could this be an issue that users are in fact registered and this is why I see such behavior? Do you see such behavior on your private sites or it is only me?

Last edited:
Top Bottom