Private Forums and Usergroups

I'm running an Atheist/Christian forum. I want "Atheist" to be a joinable usergroup and also for "Christian" to be a joinable usergroup.
I've created the usergroups already.

I want a private forum JUST for Atheists, but I want christians to be able to read threads - just not post
And vise versa for the Christians.

I've been messing with node permissions and usergroup permissions for about 4 hours now and I cant get it right, want to rip my hair out.

I've tried an addon but it didnt seem to function properly.

Can this be done without an addon?

Thank you.

The only way to to implement a joinable user group is via a custom user field: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/using-custom-user-fields-with-user-group-promotions.4008/

Then Then it's just a case of of setting the permissions accordingly for each node/user group combination - using Allow, Not Set, and Revoke as required.
I will give this a go tomorrow when my brain has recovered from tonight. (n)

I'll report back if I continue to have issues, thank you for replying (for the second time) I appreciate your patience .
Please don't close this, in case I have to come back.

god bless.

I will give this a go tomorrow when my brain has recovered from tonight. (n)

I'll report back if I continue to have issues, thank you for replying (for the second time) I appreciate your patience .
Please don't close this, in case I have to come back.

god bless.
How did you do with creating your private forum? I'm needing to do this too.

Wonderfully, It's a pain in the butt but once you get it, you got it.

ACP> Applications> Node permissions > Revoke permission to whatever usergroup(s) view or post in forum > Make sure to grant access to specific usergroup you want to be able to view/use forum.

One more thing: this means the private forum would be totally invisible to all but those given permission. Is there a way to create a payment gate for this to be automated? Member pays, payment passes, members receives login link, or his account is switched to a premium membership status?

Thanks!