Lack of interest Admin Improvements for Listing Users and Usergroups

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

invictus

Some quality of life suggestions for usergroup management in the XF admin panel:

Users -> List all users
- Add column to display primary usergroup.
- Add filters: Primary Usergroup, Secondary Usergroups

Groups & permissions -> User groups
- Add column to display count of users who belong to usergroup. Link the count to user list.

I know the above can already be achieved by using Search for users but this is time consuming and unintuitive.

I'm in the process of converting from VB, and in almost every other area XenForo seems superior, but VB has much more intuitive and informative display of users and usergroups, making management of them much easier.

Maybe I am missing something, but right now the 'List all users' and 'User groups' pages seem incomplete/uninformative.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Users -> List all users
- Add column to display primary usergroup.
This is essentially not required as all users should have their Primary user group set to Registered, as per the official documentation on user groups here:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/

- Add filters: Primary Usergroup, Secondary Usergroups
- Add column to display count of users who belong to usergroup. Link the count to user list.
I'm not sure how these makes management better than using the Search for Users feature? It would still require clicks to filter and it's not really many more clicks (or even any) to use the current search feature and what is available allows you to properly filter the secondary user groups whereas a column of secondary user groups is likely less useful. Unless I'm missing something here (maybe a bit more explanation as to how your suggestion would be better than what's currently there - not everyone is familiar with VB functionality)?

Unless I'm missing something here (maybe a bit more explanation as to how your suggestion would be better than what's currently there - not everyone is familiar with VB functionality)?

What seems to be missing from XF is any fast way to view all my usergroups and see how many users are in each user group. Unless I am missing something, I would have to run user searches for each usergroup just to get this data and there is still no way to see it all on one page.

The user groups page cannot display the number of users in any group, or even give me any way to view the users it contains. I can only edit the user group name or properties. I have to go to a different tab in the admin panel to see users, and there I cannot see what user group any of them are in without running a search. Switching between the two tabs (Users, and Groups) not only requires a click, it requires scrolling down the page when the tabs open. This is far from intuitive, and it's time consuming if you have to run a search for several user groups.

If there is a way to view all my user groups and the count of users in each group that I am missing, please tell me. It could be I am simply not finding it.

In VB, one click for Usergroups gets you a table where all usergroups are listed and there are columns showing the number of primary and additional users for each group. One more click takes you to view all users in any user group.

I feel like I'm blind in XF when looking at my users or usergroup pages. Surely running a search for each group is not preferable in any way. The XF user search is fine when you need to search, it works great. The problem is getting a snapshot of your users and their distribution in groups. XF seems to be completely lacking any way to display this or navigate it easily.

vb-usergroups.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom