Private forum: how to set so admins can view

web09

Hi I am moving some posts from one forum to other forums. In the interim I don't want the private forum viewable by anyone other than admins.

What's the best way to set it up so that the admin can view and move forum posts from a private forum to other public forums, but not allow regular members to view the private forum.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/

Creating a private forum

Because of the way Revoke works in xenForo you shouldn't use it to restrict a private forum. Instead you should use a special feature in xenForo called Private node. You will see the Private node checkbox when editing the permissions for a specific node. This basically inverts the permissions so that you can specify Allowed groups instead of Revoked groups. This is actually better for group management if you add more groups later.

Admin CP -> Users -> Node Permissions -> [click Permissions for a forum] -> Private node

Set the forum as private and explicitly allow access to the users you wish.

@Brogan @Jake Bunce

Gentlemen:

I've been using XF now for almost three years with great success. I am trying to set up a private subforum that's invite only and invisible to all but those specifically invited.

I've created a separate permission group that will allow access to this subforum. The problem that I'm having is connecting this permission group to the actual subforum.

How do I get this permission group into this subforum? I created a new category for "private forums" and am about to create the first subforum under it. I know how to make them private thanks to Jake's post above.

Top Bottom