Fixed Preview view of articles with links to media images show broken image icon on preview

Mr Lucky

Affected version
2.2 beta 4
If an article has a link to a media image (inserted eith via the media galley supplied bbcode or via the image icon URL link, then the preview shows a boken image icon.

It is fine when the froum is configured as expanded type of article , the issue only happens when it is a preview (grid) type.

(images are fine within the article and in the media gallery)

Here is the forum view with expanded articles

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 10.39.53.webp

Here is exact same forum with preview articles

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 10.39.05.webp

I'm slightly confused by this so would you please be able to confirm for us the exact BB code in use for that article?

(Edit the first post, click the [ ] icon, and copy and paste the code here)

It is this:

Code:
[IMG width="600px"]https://example.com/media/ppt-onyxite7-1-jpg.2077/full[/IMG]

Copied and pasted from the media gallery

NB: I have tested on several images in media gallery oin various articles, always the same issue. But fine for images hotlinked from other sites.

tested with default style and all addons except XFMG disabled)

(I hope it's OK to give the URL of my development installation???)

EDIT: now removed dev URL, will only annoy Matt if people go there and send a 403 error back to him.

Last edited:
If you disable the image proxy does it work?

It looks like it's trying to run even local images through the proxy in this scenario.

That's the exact issue. We don't attempt to bypass the image proxy in any cases for the cover image as far as I can see (except the domain/HTTPS bypass).

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.2.0 Beta 5).

Change log:
Do not attempt to proxy local images for article covers when they are hosted locally.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

@Mr Lucky this is now fixed for the next release but for now you can simply disable the image proxy for testing purposes and the cover images should be shown as expected.

Yes!!!!!!!

Thank you. It was doing my head in a bit....

edition python GIF

Top Bottom