Prefixes Vs Sub-Forums

SelfSufficientMe

I'm considering removing several sub-forums by merging them into the one parent forum and using prefixes instead. Do you think this is a good idea in general (ie) using prefixes where possible in instead of sub-forums?

I think it depends on how busy the subforums are and how many forums you have. The busier the subforums are the more I would tend to keep them as subforums. If they're not so busy prefixes are a good option. If the forum list is crowded prefixes can help you reduce the clutter by eliminating unneeded subforums. OTOH, if you don't have a lot of forums subforums can help by filling out the forum list and improve organization.

Prefixes can be a big help but they also have downsides.

I appreciate the helpful feedback guys - I do want to keep some organisation but I guess I also need to balance this with how busy these sub-forums are (and in my case they aren't all that busy).

So what I'll do (I think) is turn those sub-forums which are more popular into mains and get rid of the rest covering them by prefixes. Hopefully, this will make my site look more focused and a little busier.

Cheers :)

I'm considering removing several sub-forums by merging them into the one parent forum and using prefixes instead. Do you think this is a good idea in general (ie) using prefixes where possible in instead of sub-forums?
As others have said.. depends. On my Linux site I use the heck out of them
Screen Shot 2014-08-31 at 3.32.04 PM.webp Screen Shot 2014-08-31 at 3.33.23 PM.webp Screen Shot 2014-08-31 at 3.37.22 PM.webp Screen Shot 2014-08-31 at 3.37.42 PM.webp

I think yes. If the sub board is not supposed to highlighted to the visitors at first glance, prefixes can do the trick.

Is any way to exclude one group of prefix in this list?
I'd have to look again.. but I think it's set so that if the prefix is available to that node, then it will be shown. The only way to keep it from doing it in anode is to NOT select that node in the ACP -> Options -> Prefix Forum Listing
Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 7.58.40 PM.webp

Funny you should post this, we are thinking about doing the same thing on my forum, but the only problem I can think of is the Forum Watch feature. The volume of emails about topics many of my members wouldn't care about worries me.

That actually led me to post this thread in Add-ons Discussion:

Has anyone ever looked into tying the watch notification system (like the Forum Watch system) to the Thread Prefix system? I run a site with multiple models of a car that are all very similar (and similarly named), so we are looking at ways to consolidate our forums and improve usability. Right now we basically have 4 forums for Maintenance (1 per model), 4 for Accessories, etc, and I'm looking into using the Thread Prefix system to just do one forum for each type of discussion topic (from 4 to 1 forum for Accessories, etc).

My question is: Has anyone ever thought or looked into doing a Watch system for Thread Prefixes like we have with the Forum Watch system? I'd like for my users to be able to get a notification, for example, when a thread is posted in Forum A with Thread Prefix "Model 1".

Any thoughts?

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/watch-system-tied-to-thread-prefixes.82492/

I'd have to look again.. but I think it's set so that if the prefix is available to that node, then it will be shown. The only way to keep it from doing it in anode is to NOT select that node in the ACP -> Options -> Prefix Forum Listing

I use two groups of prefixes, but I would like to only one group was on the list of prefixes.
I would like to exclude from a prefix list prefix_group_id = 7.

I use two groups of prefixes, but I would like to only one group was on the list of prefixes.
I would like to exclude from a prefix list prefix_group_id = 7.
I don't think you can by default.. you may want to inquire with the add-on author about extending it.

Top Bottom