Implemented Prefixes for Resources

erich37

Prefixes for Resources:

This might not be required here at xenforo.com website, but this would really be required for my usage of the RM.
The "Country Prefixes" in the attached mockup are examples only.

This Prefix is set by the Resource Author (when creating a "Resource") and also applies to the respective "Resource Discussions" thread.

Ability to "filter" Resources by "Prefix" (as we already have for Threads in Forums) would give this another level for the RM.

prefix_for_resource.gif

prefix_for_resource2.gif

Upvote 30
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
What's the distinction between this and the category structure?

it's like if you were asking:
why do we need Prefixes when we already have "Forum-Nodes" and "Sub-Forums" as a "category structure" ?

If you think about using the RM for other uses, then those "Prefixes" will give you one additional level of hierarchy (category):

for example I have "industry-categories" for suppliers like, e.g.:

Main Categories:
- Agriculture & Forestry
- Mechanical Engineering
- Packaging & Printing
- Furniture & Interior
- etc.

Sub Categories:
- Agriculture & Forestry > Wood, Saw, Tools, .......
- Mechanical Enginerring > Metal, CAD, Machinery, .......
- Packaging & Printing > Paper, Pulp, Chemicals, ......
- etc.

then with Prefixes, you can sort (filter) those "industry specific" suppliers, buyers and products into another level, e.g. the Country where those suppliers are coming from.

Prefixes:
- China
- Canada
- United States
- Germany
- etc.

And you do not want to list about 98 countries as a "subcategory" underneath of each "Main Category".

I still think an option to have Prefixes for the RM would be an advantage..... maybe not here for xenforo.com , but for other Forum-webmasters.......
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/why-do-i-want-a-resource-manager.45949/page-2#post-497057

For example for a Business-Marketplace with Industry-specific-Categories, I would need Prefixes in the RM in order to be able to further categorize and filter these Categories into its various types, for example:

Prefix1: "For Sale"
Prefix2: "Buying Request"
Prefix3: "Business Opportunity"
etc.

prefixes-for-rm.gif

amazon-prefix.gif

ebayprefixes.gif

In my case I could have on category called Horses for Sale and use a prefix for type as I do now in the forum before the RM. As it stands now, I have to have sub-categories. Is there a drawback in so far as the RM is designed Mike that would preclude not doing prefixes?

Another option for prefixes is a method of description for authors. For example, if I had a paid add-on and wanted to advertise a sale on my add-on, I could use the "Sale" prefix which would pop out to the user. As of now I rarely notice if someone is having a sale or something similar, this would really make that stand out.
Just my 2 cents on the matter :)

Please "Like" the first post of this thread if you need Prefixes at your own Resource Manager.

:)
Done ;)

@Mike and Kier: I think the RM is great, but to make it more complete, many options must be added, then mr.developers give the best of yourself to improve!

Using the RM as a reviews manager Prefixes would allow me to have for example a catagory for dry dog food and another catagory for canned food. Prefix would be used to distinguish what age or weight the food is recommended for. ie: Puppy Food, ALS all life stages, Adult, Senior, etc..

I have just started working with the RM and I think it would just be great if we could define "Prefixes" which are showing up in the "Automatically Created Thread Prefix:", but are not allowed to be chosen by the user when he creates a Thread.

So literally Admin is able to define "RM-Prefixes" which will show when a "Resource Thread" is automatically created in a Forum.
But the user itself is not able to select this specific "RM Prefixes" when creating a thread.

This is already working fine, there is just a little tweak required that user is not able to use that "RM-Prefix" when creating a thread.
So this "RM-Prefix" should only show at the thread when a new thread is automatically created by adding a new Resource.

But still, it would be nice to also show Prefixes directly in the RM for each Resource as well.

Both options (as described above) would give maximum flexibility regarding "Prefixes".

:)

There's an add-on for this by *******.. but am not buying that hoping it will be added in future version of RM :D Wish me luck..

Prefixes for at least the discussion portion of the thread would be ideal. Currently, a moderator (given the correct permissions) can move the discussion thread to any resource to whichever forum he/chooses and apply a thread tag belonging to that forum.

Making this option user selectable would be the next logical step.

I saw in another similar thread, a suggestion to add "updated" tags to the end of a resource title. I like that idea as well.

So the resource itself, would gain an "updated" tag as it's suffix (criteria would need to be determined, based upon whether the user has seen it or not(?)) and a prefix designating category for the associated discussion of that resource.

Resource Discussion threads are posted in forums, and you have the ability to define prefixes for those forums. Permissions based thread title editing extends to prefixes, so that is already possible.

Top Bottom