Prefix filter should be limited

TPerry

There needs to be a cleaner interface for this... it's rather "bulky" when you get very many prefixes for the node.
Maybe having the prefixes collapsed by default under the "categories" with a + character beside them?

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 3.35.56 AM.png

Upvote 3
Looks shocking because you have too many prefixes.
All depends on your needs. It's generally a better alternative to too many nodes, and tags don't give you as much control. I have just as many prefixes as he does on some nodes, more forum wide (use Xon's Multi-Prefix addon). The default display doesn't personally bother me much, but it wouldn't hurt to have the option, especially for mobile.

Looks shocking because you have too many prefixes.
Beats the crud out of too many nodes, some of which may never have posts in them.
37 nodes with minor traffic (if any)... or 1 node with 37 prefixes with all the traffic. Tell us which "looks better" for activity?
Especially when you have the ability to do this for filtering by prefix (for desktop).

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 3.34.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 12.17.35 PM.png

For mobile, collapsible would go a long ways towards helping when one does make heavy use of prefixes.

Last edited:
I use no more than 5 prefixes.
That seems to work well.
Any more makes it messy.
And there are those of us who use a lot more as we push what benefit they can provide...
The issue is that for those of us who do use prefixes in place of multiple forum nodes, it' makes (especially when on mobile) the interface problematic. Collapsing categories that can be expanded would resolve much of that.
I have 116 Prefixes currently in use just for the various forum nodes that they are of benefit in (13 nodes compared to 116 nodes). Usually they deal with a specific device type or manufacturer.
I have about another 30-40 in use by add-ons I have installed.
Prefixes are better than the use of tags as with prefixes, you have standardized spelling, which is easier for filtering.

This is another simple example of where using Prefixes reduces the need of having multiple "categories" (this is specific to my Classifieds area).

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 3.09.51 PM.png

It suffers similar issues from the prefixes used in it when using the Filter function.

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 3.18.12 PM.png

Having each of those categories collapsed (and expandable) would take only a small portion of the space shown initially.

Last edited:
It works well for you because you have like only 5 users. Look at BigFooty, they have way more than 5. Because it's the size of the community, it makes things more organized.
Yeah but the problem is there is bigfooty are a bigger board than mine.

Looking back at tracy's forum he could easily have a category called Camera Parts. Then have board names for those with the prefix used called camera.
Just trying to help him here. He doesn't have to take my advice but i'm just saying his looks messy because of all the particular prefixes. When they could be board names.

For example

Camera Parts - category

Boards
Camera Brands
Rotatable Camera parts
Camera Tripods and Stands
etc

With the prefix of Camera

As he's into Astronomy as well he could have a prefix called Horoscopes as well as a category called horoscopes. Then you put all the horoscopes as board names.

Then have board names for those with the prefix used called camera.
Just trying to help him here. He doesn't have to take my advice but i'm just saying his looks messy because of all the particular prefixes. When they could be board names.
I think you are missing the point entirely about trying to REDUCE the number of nodes... not increase them.
As I reflected earlier.... 1 node with hundreds of posts versus 10 nodes, with many which would be empty. Doesn't matter if you do them as sub-nodes or what.... they are STILL empty nodes. And empty nodes do not look good on a site.
It makes more sense to have a singular NODE called Camera and then have this for use in that SINGULAR node.

Screen Shot 2023-08-10 at 10.41.00 PM.png

Having 150-200 nodes (whether as sub-nodes or whatever), most of which would be empty, is what looks "messy".

Last edited:
Top Bottom